LegacyGT.com

New tires still noisy...?

I have done a search but have not found the info I need, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a 2010 Subaru Legacy 3.6R, which I really enjoy driving. At the end of the summer season in 2015, I noticed that my summer tires, Hankook Ventus V2, were beginning to get pretty loud. The garage I use said the tires appeared to be ok, no uneven wear, cupping, etc.

Since it was close enough to winter, I switched to my Michelin X-ice tires, and right away noticed the same annoying road noise from the tires. Since funds were tight I decided to drive it through the winter. The Michelins came with the car when I bought it so, I thought maybe both sets were hardened due to age.

I was looking forward to spring so I could get those Michelins off, and today put on a new set of General Altimax RT43 tires. I was very discouraged to find that the noise, although somewhat quieter, is still there.

I have had an alignment, there is no pulling left or right, and tire wear is normal. Should I be looking for other causes, wheel bearings, transmission...?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

I had a wheel alignment last year, the tire wear and lack of wandering left or right on the highway make me think the alignment is still ok.

The noise does not seem to shift when turning, although I will have to double check on that.

The noise sounds like a consistent hum, which increases or decreases with speed, much like a truck with the oversized tires. I have tried putting the car in neutral when driving and the noise does not change.

Thanks for some input, I will try the air pressure and also check to see if the noise does change when turning.

Thanks to all of you for the info. After your suggestions, I did some more reading, and I think we are leaning towards wheel bearing. I am making arrangements today to get it checked.

Thanks again, this was a big help.

Archived