LegacyGT.com

Oil leaking from passenger side timing cover

In the process of trying to track down a boost leak by doing a boost leak test through the Bypass valve signal line, intake plugged, I managed to blow something, i'm guessing a half moon seal or cam seal?, loose. Steady dripping of oil coming from passenger side timing cover. Pulled cover and oil is evident on that side only. Can't see the origin of the oil. It must be coming from behind the exhaust camshaft pulley. Before I pull the timing belt and pulleys, is there anything else to check? No leaks from valve covers.

In the process of trying to track down a boost leak by doing a boost leak test through the Bypass valve signal line, intake plugged, I managed to blow something, i'm guessing a half moon seal or cam seal?, loose. Steady dripping of oil coming from passenger side timing cover. Pulled cover and oil is evident on that side only. Can't see the origin of the oil. It must be coming from behind the exhaust camshaft pulley. Before I pull the timing belt and pulleys, is there anything else to check? No leaks from valve covers.

Fairly certain I pressurized the crank and blew the cam seal out...

I'm in the same boat with you, I discovered the same thing yesterday while fixing my uppipe. Pulled the cover off and oil all on the bottom on the passenger side. So what I did, since I saw oil on the valve cover next to it, I spayed brake cleaner all over the clean up all the oil. I'm gonna check in a few days to get a better idea where the oil is leaking. I'm really hopping it's not the exhaust cam gear oil seal, that's a bitch of a job to do.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Well I'm pretty sure I literally blew mine out. Its an active leak, not a gusher but bad enough I can't drive it without making a smokescreen. Looks like I'm pulling exhaust cam gear tonight

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Well I'm pretty sure I literally blew mine out. Its an active leak, not a gusher but bad enough I can't drive it without making a smokescreen. Looks like I'm pulling exhaust cam gear tonight

Bummer. Mine is a slow leak to were it drips down onto the exhaust manifold heat shield and I can smell it once the car is up to normal temps. I have a bad feeling that I may have to do the same here shortly.

Let me know what you find.

Now that I'm cleaned up,

The xam seal simply popped out. Presumably because the crank case pressurized through the pcv. It was the weakest link. Pressed it back in with a 26mm socket and smeared a bit of three bond on there for good measure. So I did a timing belt, one cam sprocket, and seal all in about 5 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
Bummer. Mine is a slow leak to were it drips down onto the exhaust manifold heat shield and I can smell it once the car is up to normal temps. I have a bad feeling that I may have to do the same here shortly.

Let me know what you find.

This is exactly my problem right now too! Fckn car! :cussing:

"Build" Thread <--Link

(OLD) '05 EJ255 now a '13 EJ257 Bottom End w/D25 heads (NEW)

Forever Slow

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This is exactly my problem right now too! Fckn car! :cussing:

Yup, after redoing my valve cover gasket, I have confirmed it's the exhaust cam oil seal. This is now my next to do list.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived