LegacyGT.com

To Replace or to Rebuild

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, and possibly new to subarus.

I really want a '05-08 Legacy GT wagon for my family car. I have looked at a couple and I am generally scared about the mileage. And the cars with low mileage are just a tad out of my budget.

I came across one that has ~100k, but "needs an engine". At least that's what the dealer claims. But the price is right even if i add in a cost of a replacement engine. I have done a number of engine swaps in the past as well as rebuild a number of engines. So i wonder what makes most sense.

Have you guys had much experiences with the "JDM" engines imported from japan?

I have bought a VG30DETT with success for my 300zx, and a RB25det for my 240z in the past. So i know what to expect with Nissan engines but never a subie engine.

Alternatively, what could i expect for a stock rebuild? My guess is that the timing belt snapped and caused an engine failure. So that means complete upper end rebuild? I am assuming the engine is an interference engine.

Can you remove the heads while the engine is in the car or do i need to pull the engine to do this?

Anyway a good advice goes a long way! Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

Have your heads rebuilt and put a new ej257 from the factory in. the Ej257 and gasket set for your year car is about $2000.

see my click here link and the sticky's at the top of this forum.

Yes, interference fit engines.

You can pull the heads in the car but it's much easier to do them with the engine out of the car. You can do other things while the engine is out that need to be done too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Hi Max,

Thanks for welcoming me and the response. I looked through your thread and it seems that you replaced your block due to increased blow by. But it also sounded like you were running higher boost pressures than stock.

Honestly i am not looking to boost power, just build a reliable daily. So gaskets ,head rebuild, new timing set, water pump, maybe some basic bolt ons and that's it.

The car is offered at 4k i don't want to pay more than 3k for it if i'm going to do this. I figure i could buy jdm long block for 1800 + incidentals, i could be at ~6000 for the whole lot.

The link for the engine is below. In general the swap should be pretty straight forward, maybe swap a couple of sensors. But i was hoping someone on the forum could help with this issue.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Subaru-Legacy-GT-04-06-EJ20-Turbo-Boxer-Engine-Auto-Trans-BP5-DOHC-VVT-EJ20-/182048079721?hash=item2a62e93f69:m:mpjvw9yK-s2kBGYD1Ms0rsw&vxp=mtr

My problem is that I'm cheap. My budget is like 7k or preferably less and i can't find a wagon that has lower mileage and is unmolested for that price. Most that i find are at 10k or higher.

$4,000 for a 100,000 mile Outback that needs a new motor (and possibly more?) seems a bit steep. I paid $2,700 for my running and driving Legacy GT wagon.

I believe if you're capable of a 300zx motor swap, you could easily tackle a turbo Subaru motor swap.

Timing belt failure is one possibility, but also could be turbo failure that sent compressor wheel fins through the motor (common with Legacy GTs and Outback XTs), or a spun bearing.

If you have the tools. Getting a new EJ257 short block, having the heads rebuilt, and a few other new parts, you'll have a great running engine for many years.

Mine is going on 4 years and 66,000 miles at 21psi.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived