LegacyGT.com

Bringing a car into Washington

Smithcraft

So it looks like I'm going to be bringing in a car from out of state.

Does anyone know if the WSP is still inspecting out of state cars? Do they still need documentation/receipts for parts and stuff?

It looks like things may have changed ( http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/vinspect.htm ) since I moved up here in '97, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had a recent experience with bringing in a car from out of state?

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

It might depend on the county. I brought a '76 Ford pickup here from AZ 2 years ago, no inspection required in Skagit County, but perhaps that's because it was an older vehicle. For tax purposes, they only wanted a bill of sale (to charge sales tax), though in my case, the truck was a gift and the previous owner (my dad) owned it for more than 10 years, so no sales tax was necessary.

Good luck with the bullet Audi, I heard it will only take $1500 in repairs to be good as new!

Stopped by my local DOL office, and asked about it.

Turns out times have changed, and you only need to have a car inspected under certain conditions. Mostly if it's a hot rod, or the title is something other than a clean title.

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

Archived