LegacyGT.com

5EAT to 5MT swap: mechanical complete, wiring complete but not happy. Help!

Hey folks,

I haven't posted here yet but I have an extensive thread on the outback forum. I'm hitting a wall here, and need some direction or ideas so I can get past this hurdle and get the car back together.

(desperate plea)

If your line of diagnosis or advice leads me to being able to get the ECU to be read as well as the starter to turn, I will paypal you $50 CAD. Yes I'm that desperate and it's sad. But I miss my wagon.

Status

Mechanical

Done

Electrical

Interior harness swapped from Donor 2005 OBXT 5MT

BIU/ECU/Cluster Swapped from Donor 2005 OBXT 5MT

Key has been cut to fit Recipient 2005 OBXT with the Donor 5MT's immobilizer chip in it, solving the immobilizer problem

All fuses are good

All wires have been quadruple checked

Symptoms

With everything connected as it should be

No gauge sweep

Cluster will light up fuel gauge when odometer button pressed

Key will remain locked into ignition until power or BIU disconnected (key solenoid controlled by BIU)

Key turned to "START" does not engage starter, signaling security relay is not activated by BIU

With the center plug to the BIU removed

Gauges will sweep

The usual warning lights come on (CEL, etc)

Security light flashing 0.2 sec on 2.8 sec off

Key turned to "START" does not engage starter, signaling security relay is not activated by BIU

Problematic

Cannot get the gauge cluster to go into diagnostic mode to produce a code via the green connector on the drivers side

Cannot get the ECU to be read by Romraider/FreeSSM/Learningview with Tactrix 2.0 cable

Questions:

Where to go from here, I guess? Does anyone know the location of the security relay? I'd like to manually jump it close to see if the starter will engage. How can I diagnose a CAN error, or tell if for some godforsaken reason one of the primary 3 connected items is mismatched (somehow) or dead? Any advice on what electrical line of diagnosis to chase would be incredibly helpful.

You'll want to contact Dave Brady at Enhanced Street Performance in Sterling MA.

He has a thread on here somewhere.

My Tuner Mike Kinsman of www.tuningalliance.com works with him as Mike uses their Dyno to tune.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived