LegacyGT.com

COBB Accessport and Warranty

EvilCamaroSS

Ok so I searched and found a ton of threads, all posted almost a decade ago on this issue, and I wanted some more current information if anyone has any.

Last week my car decided it was time to misfire on cylinder #4 when going WOT in 3rd gear, I got a check engine light, and checked with my AP, Cylinder 4 misfire, OK sounds good.

A quick visual inspection showed that the coil pack for cylinder #4 was cracked, and it was raining hard that day, so the fix seems simple enough, change the coil pack.

I take the car to work, un-marry my AccessPort and bring it over to the dealer, they look at the car and tell me that they cant replace the cracked coil because there are no misfire codes in the ECU (obviously because I un-married the AP) and they mentioned that the ECU had been flashed recently and stated I only had 9 key cycles. I told them I didn't know what they were talking about.

The question is, was I wrong to un-marry the AP? Should I just have left it? My car is bone stock except for the COBB stage 1 tune.

The second question is, can the dealer really tell that the ECU was flashed, or were they just making that assumption based on the key cycles, which I later found out are also reset when removing the battery from the car.

I just want to make sure I am informed for next time, I have 15Kmi left on my extended warranty :)

When you unmarried the AP you reset the ECU. Next time they try to tell you the car has been flashed and had 9 key cycles, tell them that you disconnected the battery to reset the ECU after you checked the code at the local car parts store. Unfortunately, now they probably have it noted in their system that the ECU has been reflashed with a tuning device and the car has not been running on the stock map. Just pray you don't have any major engine issues during the remainder of the warranty.

And next time post this in the 5th gen section, you will get more exposure and faster response. Not many members visit this subforum.

Isn't the out of warranty. It's over 5 years old.

Oh may be you bought it used ?

IMO you should have left it at stage1. I believe they can't tell or couldn't years ago.

Either way a tune is not going to make the coil crack.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived