LegacyGT.com

Does this require maintenance? Turbo

I was checking my oil and all the other levels. Everything checked out fine. I noticed their was a little oil by the turbo which I have never seen before.. Normal wear for 86,000 miles or should I be concerned? No check engine light and boosting fine. Thanks http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/25/418c71c45caf146bbdee54bc242161d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it's common. There are breather hoses as well as a PCV hose that vent back into the turbo inlet hose and you end up getting a bit of oil filming and building up inside there. This oil then deteriorates the rubber turbo inlet hose, especially at the point where it connects to the turbo because a) the rubber is thinner at that connection point, b) the metal band clamp starts to work its way into the rubber, and c) the PCV vents into the turbo inlet hose at a point that is close to its connection to the turbo. Eventually they will get a hole there. I'd plan on getting a new turbo inlet hose. Best to stick with a new OEM replacement, assuming you're still stock.

Archived