LegacyGT.com

LWCP and 5EAT

Who here has a replacement crank pulley or a light weight crank pulley installed on their automatic car?

Are there any tricks you all could recommend to install a replacement pulley on the a/t cars?

I want to buy the kartboy light weight pulley but if I cannot install it it won't help me much. I noticed that the grimmspeed has extra holes to work with their removal tool, but the kartboy doesn't. Is there another way to pull the nut off of the auto cars or is the grimmspeed tool the only way?

this has been covered numerous times, see install threads, google. youtube videos,

there is the tool core program in the classifieds, and you can also bump it with a impact gun, itll likely brake free

Yes, but does that pulley tool work with the kartboy pulley or am I in for a world of hurt when that needs to get pulled with no air tools? All of the tutorials I found seem to be focused only on the manual cars, not a/t.

You really only need the tool for automatic cars. With a manual, you just put it in high gear and stand on the brakes. I'm installing mine on the engine stand, so I won't need the tool. But I think you'll need it to install if the engine is in the car. Like quick4dr said, you can bump it with an impact to get it off. But you might not want to reinstall it like that. See if your local parts store does loaners. Also, it probably isn't too hard to make something that will work... Piece of flat bar with some holes drilled in it might be enough.

Bump it off with the starter.

Use a prybar/screwdriver/etc in the flywheel access port under the intercooler to hold the crank while tightening.

Sounds like I should remove the TMIC to access the flywheel port? That sounds like an unnecessary PITA. Any other tips to install the crank pulley on an 5EAT car?

• Moderators
Sounds like I should remove the TMIC to access the flywheel port? That sounds like an unnecessary PITA. Any other tips to install the crank pulley on an 5EAT car?

This type of attitude doesn't lend itself to doing your own installs. If removing the TMIC to jam a screwdriver in the flywheel port is unacceptable, just pay someone to do the job.

And don't get all uppity, pulling the TMIC on these cars takes like 4 minutes. Reinstalling takes like 6 minutes. Not that big of a deal.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

This type of attitude doesn't lend itself to doing your own installs. If removing the TMIC to jam a screwdriver in the flywheel port is unacceptable, just pay someone to do the job.

And don't get all uppity, pulling the TMIC on these cars takes like 4 minutes. Reinstalling takes like 6 minutes. Not that big of a deal.

Fair enough, I just feel like that couldn't be the only way using only hand tools, and I couldn't imagine that's the method just a few minutes ago. Plus removing and reinstalling the TMIC is probably the most reliable way to damage it in the long run.

Thanks everyone for all of the advice so far!

• Moderators

Most reliable way to damage what, the TMIC? Yeah, no.

The other way using hand tools is to by the grimmspeed tool. Or just a 2x4 with holes drilled in it where needed, install bolts in the 2x4 and use it to hold the pulley in place. Mark holes for stock and for aftermarket pulley if different.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Wait unitl you figure out how much of a difference they make on an automatic car. Your going to ask for your money back

It's not so much for power as for piece of mind. I'd rather install a pulley that's a couple of pounds lighter than have the oem piece destroy my engine bay. I swear, what I've saved so far not needing to squeeze more power out of this car I've spent on reliability mods alone. Kind of funny how that works.

actually the lighter pulley is most certainly noticeable on my 5eat. was one of my first mods done for piece of mind as well. taking 5lbs off your spinning rotation is huge. the 5eat most certainly wakes up a bit from it!

Archived