LegacyGT.com

Head gasket and oil ring falure.. New block?

So I first bought the car with 130k and notice a severe oil consumption and had the car leakdown and compression tested..... #1 133psi & 6%, #2 135psi & 6%, #3 133psi & 6%, #4 137 & 4% so I figured the rings couldnt be all that bad. Went ahead and did some repairs such as replacing some hoses and oil lines, PCV valve, rebuilt the turbo and also added an up and down pipe, exhaust and intake. I had found quite a few oil leaks because of the lines and also in some other areas but didnt think they could account for a quart every 300-400 miles.

So after this maintenance, I tuned the car to stage 2 and things were going well for about a week but I still was consuming oil, not as much, but pretty damn close. Then, one day the car overheated and all the coolant was pushed out of the reservoir. Had the coolant tested and it came back with some trace of combustion gasses in it. Went ahead and changed the thermostat and caps to make sure that there wasn't a pressure problem or some air left in the system and that did not help at all. Everytime I drive the car it will eventually shoot the fluid out of the reservoir and my research tells me that its a head gasket.

In the end I am about 90% sure my piston rings are bad and also the head gasket is done for. I have about 3000 I can spare and am just wondering if I should get a new block or what other options I have. I really enjoy the car and cant find anything else id like to drive at the time being so I really need some help figuring out how to take on this situation.

Most of us buy a new ej257 for around $1645, gasket set for your year car, have your heads rebuilt and put it all back together.

See my click here link.

Oh yea, read the sticky's up top.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

With this history you can actually be 90% sure you have cracked ring lands on one or more pistons,in addition to the problems at the head gasket.

This may help you decide which way to go?

So I first bought the car with 130k and notice a severe oil

consumption and had the car leakdown and compression tested..... #1 133psi & 6%, #2 135psi & 6%, #3 133psi & 6%, #4 137 & 4% so I figured the rings couldnt be all that bad. Went ahead and did some repairs such as replacing some hoses and oil lines, PCV valve, rebuilt the turbo and also added an up and down pipe, exhaust and intake. I had found quite a few oil leaks because of the lines and also in some other areas but didnt think they could account for a quart every 300-400 miles.

So after this maintenance, I tuned the car to stage 2 and things were going well for about a week but I still was consuming oil, not as much, but pretty damn close. Then, one day the car overheated and all the coolant was pushed out of the reservoir. Had the coolant tested and it came back with some trace of combustion gasses in it. Went ahead and changed the thermostat and caps to make sure that there wasn't a pressure problem or some air left in the system and that did not help at all. Everytime I drive the car it will eventually shoot the fluid out of the reservoir and my research tells me that its a head gasket.

In the end I am about 90% sure my piston rings are bad and also the head gasket is done for. I have about 3000 I can spare and am just wondering if I should get a new block or what other options I have. I really enjoy the car and cant find anything else id like to drive at the time being so I really need some help figuring out how to take on this situation.

With this history you can actually be 90% sure you have cracked ring lands on one or more pistons,in addition to the problems at the head gasket.

This may help you decide which way to go?

Hey thanks. I think my only way to go is to tear it apart and take a look. Im going to have to do headgaskets for sure so I decided im just going to take on my first engine rebuild. Ill be starting a thread soon of the rebuild.

Archived