LegacyGT.com

weird vibration that comes and goes @freeway speed

http://imgur.com/56aC3IE.jpg

Terrible picture, but while it seems like one of the pins had rusted, the caliper moved on the bracket freely.

Drove for 20 minutes with plenty of hard braking and measured the following temps:

F/D: 320F

F/P: 320F

R/D: 220F

R/P: 220F

I'm happy to have done the calipers, but it seems that it wasn't the cause of the vibration issue. While I was down there, I checked the front driveshafts for play, and it seemed like both had a little bit. Is that normal or should there be none at all? It seemed that the rears had none.

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered a set of front axles from Raxles and put them on over the weekend. Fairly simple job, though getting all the bolts and arms aligned when putting everything back together was a time-consuming pain in the ass. Creative use of a prybar and a floor jack go a long way!

After I replaced the axles, I went on a short highway drive to see if the problem was resolved. It does look like intermittent 60mph - 70mph vibration went away, so I'm relieved about that. The lateral play in the front axles was probably less than 1/16" at the time. However, it seems that the new axles bind under quick cornering at 1/2 to full lock -- I get a very strong shuddering/vibration on the driver's side front whether I'm turning right or left.

I'm going to try to get Raxles to send me a new axle, but I have to say, I'm kind of disappointed. I went with Raxles so that I wouldn't have this issue and have to do the replacement twice. Hopefully there won't be any issues with getting the axle replaced. Let's see how this plays out.

Archived