LegacyGT.com

weird vibration that comes and goes @freeway speed

Had similar symptoms that turned out to be a brake slide pin seizure.

I would start by rotating tires to see if the shaking comes through the steering wheel. If it does it's probably a tire/balance issue. If not then you can eye the slide pins or other culprits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Updated parts list since original part-out here.

Original Full part-out of my LGT HERE!

Did you get an alignment? Do you only notice it when hitting the gas? If so, that is indicative of a cv shaft.

This is also worth checking into. Start with less expensive culprits and work your way up.

I have a similar problem, though I get it through the steering wheel. At about 65mph, vibrations will come and go. Maybe about 30 seconds or so between no vibration and a vibration that starts off small, but gets quite strong, then fades away again.

No visible slop in the DOJ shafts when checking by hand, but I didn't put a pry bar to it.

Brake slide pins might be a good thing to check, I've been noticing some weird brake release characteristics, too.

After driving ten minutes, I put an IR thermometer to the rotors. One rotor at 90F and another at 150F. Would it be safe to say that this is indicative of a problem?

I'm going to rebuild the calipers and see if that resolves the issue.

After driving ten minutes, I put an IR thermometer to the rotors. One rotor at 90F and another at 150F. Would it be safe to say that this is indicative of a problem?

I'm going to rebuild the calipers and see if that resolves the issue.

Winner winner! I replaced mine from Rock auto instead of heading down the rebuild road. A friend did the same and ended up with the same problem. Totally your call. Good luck! :)

Winner winner! I replaced mine from Rock auto instead of heading down the rebuild road. A friend did the same and ended up with the same problem. Totally your call. Good luck! :)

A full rebuild kit with pistons, seals, and hardware was going to be about $40 per caliper. With a returned core, Centric-remanufactured calipers were about $45 per caliper -- a no brainer. At this price, I might just replace all the calipers. Thanks!

Hopefully this is the cause of the vibration issue!

If it's just a seized slide there's no need to replace the calipers. If you do go that route you should replace the hoses as well.

You're definitely right. It could likely be remedied cheaply. It's also possible, like in my friend's case, that the problem could recur a short time later.

Sometimes you're paying for peace of mind, a few less Advil, and a few more precious minutes :)

It might be a good idea to do brake lines while I'm down there.

The pads and the rotors are new-ish (under 5k street miles), and I like the pads quite a bit (Stoptech Street). I cleaned up the calipers a bit the last time, but I noticed the caliper body was quite rusted, which is why I've decided to replace all the calipers.

It might be a good idea to do brake lines while I'm down there.

The pads and the rotors are new-ish (under 5k street miles), and I like the pads quite a bit (Stoptech Street). I cleaned up the calipers a bit the last time, but I noticed the caliper body was quite rusted, which is why I've decided to replace all the calipers.

I did brake lines as well. Make sure you have a good flare nut wrench to do the job. Cheap ones will slip and strip the nut. In fact, I have a buddy who might sell you his SS brake lines at an exceptional price because he no longer has his GT.

SpecB_DE makes a good point about rotors. Restoring balance might mean replacing rotors too. Centrics are a fine replacement and they aren't over-the-top expensive.

Haha, this is turning into a complete brake system overhaul. Might as well replace my master cylinder and booster while I'm at it. /s

It's the front driver's side that seems to have the issue. I'm going to start with the calipers. I just did the rotors and pads not so long ago, so hopefully they can be salvaged.

doobaruGT: let me know what your friend wants for his lines and maybe we can work something out. Thanks!

Yea it does sound like we're going overkill. Still, when rotors heat up and cool rapidly, it opens the door for warping. Just want to make sure you're all balanced out. Maybe just do the calipers and lines and see where that takes you.

I'll check with my buddy about his lines. Also, fwiw, when I did the same project I picked up a can of VHT paint and did the calipers. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out and the VHT holds up well.

Yea it does sound like we're going overkill. Still, when rotors heat up and cool rapidly, it opens the door for warping. Just want to make sure you're all balanced out. Maybe just do the calipers and lines and see where that takes you.

I'll check with my buddy about his lines. Also, fwiw, when I did the same project I picked up a can of VHT paint and did the calipers. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out and the VHT holds up well.

I'm going to do the calipers this weekend -- I ordered them from Rockauto and they should be coming in today. I was thinking about dropping by the parts store for some caliper paint, maybe a black or a dark blue. Now would be the best and easiest time to do it -- no rust, clean caliper, etc.

Put the IR thermometer on my rotors again after my morning commute:

Front Driver's Side: 320F

Front Passenger Side: 210F

Rear Driver's Side: 230F

Rear Passenger Side: 200F

Definitely seems like something is up with the front driver's side and maybe even the rear driver's side.

Rotors and lines will be phase 2. Still have a bunch of other issues and maintenance I need to perform, so I'm not looking for extra things to do!

Calipers came in today. Unfortunately, it seems that the front passenger side caliper was damaged -- bent slide pin or bracket, maybe? No idea how that happened. I'm returning it to Rockauto and I'll swap out the other three over the weekend while I wait for a replacement. This will let me address the front driver's side caliper, which is the one with the high temps.

Will report back after the weekend -- have a good one, boys and girls.

Archived