LegacyGT.com

HIDs for 05 Legacy

Dubb

Hey guys... so I literally just got done installing my HIDs on my car (I love them btw) but I think I might have done something wrong... After I got done with the installation I took it for a little test drive... I ordered low beam bulbs (H7) but my lights only turn on if I put on my high beams... is that normal ? This is my first time installing HIDs on a car so anything you guys know will help a lot. Thank you

To be honest on your first 2 questions I'm not too sure... I used a walk through I found on the forums. The kit I used was a Xentec kit, I was recommended it from a friend that has that brand on his car... and no I haven't tried throwing back in the stock bulbs... my other question is, is it bad to have it like that ? I mean if it is then I will remove it right away.

Well first, make sure you didn't connect the ballasts to the highbeam plugs by accident. May sound silly but it's an easy mistake to make. Second, do your halogen high beams work normally?

It's not bad per say to run an HID kit without a relay harness. However it is safer for older cars that have less than sufficient wiring, so that you don't do damage to the factory harness. HID ballasts draw up to twice the power of halogen bulbs on startup, which can be difficult for some cars to handle. A harness will provide more reliable power directly from the battery, and could be the solution to any power issues (inconsistent cold startup or flickering).

In short, it (a relay harness that is) is not always necessary, but it's a good idea in the majority of situations.

I understand... thank you for helping me out RJ255... I'll go ahead and check my connections and make sure nothing is hooked up wrong... if the problem persists then I'll go ahead and put back the stock bulbs and see if it's really the HID kit.

To get mine to work in my 2006 LGT I had to unplug my DRL harness under the driver side. There was a black and white connector. I unplugged the white one and they work everytime.

This could potentially affect things. OP if you have factory DRLs try disabling them.

I put the Kensun kit on my car and have had no issues.. it's like $50 on amazon. If you decide to go with something else check it out. Many users have installed this kit without issue and have been happy with the results

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Same, just installed a Kensun kit in my headlights ($35 over the holidays) and an Apex kit in my fog lights ($30) and no issues with either so far. Though I desperately need to aim both

Does kensun make a kit for the fogs?? Another user here put the apex in his headlights and ended up switching to kensun... it would be cool to have brighter fog lights though to match headlights as well!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived