LegacyGT.com

Blown Turbo = What's it Worth? Fix vs. Sell for loss?

The only cure for this bug is bankruptcy.

And still not done spending - Just scheduled my appointment to add on the Grimmspeed Intercooler and re-tune:p:spin:

But - I guess "You gotta pay to play":lol:

And still not done spending - Just scheduled my appointment to add on the Grimmspeed Intercooler and re-tune:p:spin:

But - I guess "You gotta pay to play":lol:

I done plenty paying so far. Where does the playing bit happen? :mad:

• 4 months later...

Well - the playing is still not happening....:mad::argue:

Finally back on track - Blew the new VF52 - and new engine....

Luckily the shop worked with me to rebuild - but now with brand new head castings (Last parts left that could be causing oil starvation)....:jedi:

Car is back on the road with new parts and breaking in the next engine....:p

:cool:

^^^

Be sure to ask if the Turbo has EVER been replaced and also try and have it looked at by a subie expert who can inspect the turbo for any issues - Turbos go and they lodge metal particles into the oil path which then just leads down a long/expensive path:

LGT Turbo Failure Wiki

But with care and maintenance they can certainly be good fun cars!!

• 3 months later...

Well - good news - started this thread almost 8 months ago - and now the car is back up and running better than new!!!

It was certainly not without higher cost and tribulation - the wife has at least stopped with the angry growls and scouring looks every time I mention the car now (and she actually drove it the other day)....

Basically went round and round blowing up the replacement VF52 first and then subsequently the replacement engine (and 2nd VF52) within 500 miles.... Only to finally replace both heads as the last point of oil starvation.... Luckily the shop took ownership and warrantied their work completely - but it took WAAAAAY longer than I had imagined and new heads was not in the planned budget - but had to be added on (along with the new I/C)...

Now the car is happily making 275 HP/320 TQ with 18 PSI from 3300 - Redline with a steady 11.00 AFR the whole time:wub::p

• 7 months later...
Well - good news - started this thread almost 8 months ago - and now the car is back up and running better than new!!!

It was certainly not without higher cost and tribulation - the wife has at least stopped with the angry growls and scouring looks every time I mention the car now (and she actually drove it the other day)....

Basically went round and round blowing up the replacement VF52 first and then subsequently the replacement engine (and 2nd VF52) within 500 miles.... Only to finally replace both heads as the last point of oil starvation.... Luckily the shop took ownership and warrantied their work completely - but it took WAAAAAY longer than I had imagined and new heads was not in the planned budget - but had to be added on (along with the new I/C)...

Now the car is happily making 275 HP/320 TQ with 18 PSI from 3300 - Redline with a steady 11.00 AFR the whole time:wub::p

You are a lucky guy. I had Subaru install a their new short block and build the heads, and when I had engine problems they laughed at me and said sorry you aren't covered because you have an aftermartket cold air intake...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey OP who did your tune? Best of luck with the car!

If you read on 2nd page, he says it was ECSPerformance,same shop that did the tuning and engine work in Connecticut. I gotta check

out myself....

Zack K.

If you read on 2nd page, he says it was ECSPerformance,same shop that did the tuning and engine work in Connecticut. I gotta check

out myself....

Zack K.

Correct - All work and tune done by ECS.

The car is about to turn over 4K miles with no further issues at all:cool:

Although I am pondering adding Fuel Rails and top feed injectors....:hobbes:

You guy's should check out http://www.tuningalliance.com his tunes are the best. I think I've told both of you that before. Send him a data log and see how much better the car is after you load his tune. Or at least have him review yours to see if it's safe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Debatable as the best tuner, I've seen better.

Yes, but when the OP is so close to one of the best, it's a shame not to use him.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 8 months later...

Update - Car made it 6,500 miles without any issues - but is now throwing P0021 Code....

Ran great until this week after an oil change - now it's throwing the dreaded code... Hoping it's only a dirty/bad OCV - or maybe even a bad oil filter?

Already talked with Mike @ T/A - and he suggested to have ESP take a look - so off to them for diagnostics!!

Yes - not going back to ECS - I was not to happy with the time they took and cost seemed high - so ESP it is....:icon_redf

Feeling depressed - but we'll see what Dave and ESP says now...;)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Dave & the team from ESP - car is back up and spooling away....

Turns out ECS put the Banjo Bolt Screens into the oil lines - and one ended up to slightly crushed - causing the code to finally show up.

Dave & Team diagnosed it quickly - screens ripped out and car is happily boosting again.... :wub:

They also noticed a loose front Strut Mount Nut and took the time to tighten that up too!:p

Will monitor the car by feel for the next month or so - then off to Mike @T/A for an updated tune!!;):)

Archived