LegacyGT.com

Random bolt under front seats?

I'm installing an audio system in a 2013 Legacy 3.6R (non-limited).

Want to install an amplifier under each seat.

I was looking for a good grounding point, and found there is a small bolt under each seat under a small fold of carpet, facing up, that seems to attach directly to the metal floor. This is hugely convenient if it will work.

There is no nut on either one, best I can tell this is used for something that only the limited model has.

Does anyone know what size nut goes on here, and if this would be a good grounding point for up to 60 amps?

Thanks!

Subaru cautions against mounting stuff under the seats, something about airbag sensors or something.

As for the bolt I can't help you there. Try looking under the car and see what's there?

Link?

That would be a huge PITA, all the wiring is done and install was planned for this.

Also possibly a mount point for the HK sound system in the limited. Since it goes under the passenger seat, and Subaru sells this car with the passenger seat on both sides, and the limited has the HK system....

By system you mean amp? and by that you mean it would be ok to install an aftermarket amp under there?

I need clarification on this.

I am not going to install the amps if the air bags are gonna go off or something.

If you take a second and think about what sensors could be under a seat for airbags it should be obvious they wont cause the airbag to go off. Maybe not go off at worst...but personally I have never seen any sensors just hanging under the seat at all. Most are secured to the seat frame. As long as the amp isn't contacting anything you will be fine to put it under the seat.

Do not install any accessory

(such as an audio amplifier) other

than a genuine SUBARU acces-

sory under the front passenger

’s seat.

Do not place anything (shoes,

umbrella, etc.) under the front

passenger’s seat.

Sorry, pulled quote from the online pdf manual. I am sure it is more of a CYA for Subaru. The point is be careful what and how you mount things under there. Note how they specifically allow Subaru equipment as it is proven to not interfere with anything.

Sorry, pulled quote from the online pdf manual. I am sure it is more of a CYA for Subaru. The point is be careful what and how you mount things under there. Note how they specifically allow Subaru equipment as it is proven to not interfere with anything.

I do suppose the size of the amp is what will really matter, most installs I have seen put the amp in the trunk attached to the rear of the seatbacks. But those were large amps. Have you considered upgrading to the HK amp and stereo system?

Ok, it didn't make much sense to me either, but this is my first Subaru.

I've had it about two weeks, and didn't feel I had grounds to refute that.

I'm sure it's fine, both amps have plenty of room and I'm not running a super high power system, about 750 watts.

Local Ace let me try a few nut sizes, I found the bolt size is M6X1.0.

So I grabbed a pair of nuts for the Subie.

I'm gonna say if the bolt was a good enough ground point for their amp, it will be for mine.

There are also 2 each Under there, so I could double up on grounds if needed.

I did (briefly) consider upgrading to the HK system, but it doesn't have all the audio features I want. I feel I am putting something together great now, that I can upgrade further later.

Looking at the vacation pics, it appears that the H/K amp is held down under the passenger seat by a couple of tabs and a nut on a stud. It looks like the amp picks up ground through the harness rather than through that stud, so it'd be worth your while to verify that it's got a good electrical connection to the chassis (I'd guess it's probably tack welded to the inside of the floor pan, which would be about as good as it gets).

There's a subwoofer kit (presumably for non-H/K applications) available through Subaru that mounts under the driver's seat, and I'd wager it probably mounts in a similar fashion, which would explain the stud on the driver's side.

I mounted my amp under the driver seat and grounded it on the exact bolt to which you are referring. I just sanded off the paint to get a good connection then sealed it afterwards. Works great with no problems for about a year and a half now.

I mounted my amp under the driver seat and grounded it on the exact bolt to which you are referring. I just sanded off the paint to get a good connection then sealed it afterwards. Works great with no problems for about a year and a half now.

Good to know.

I used a wire brush to get to bare metal and they seem to be good ground points.

I haven't sealed it,with anything yet though, what did you use?

Archived