LegacyGT.com

Tein Basic or Tein Flex or Ksport Coilover?

wingedmoon

A buddy of mine had the flex w/edfc setup on his sti and hated it, he said the ride was too bouncy for him, even on the softest setting. He sold them and replaced with pink springs and some kind of aftermarket strut. He was very happy with the handling though, but his car was more for comfort and less for auto x or track use.

teh DM's ksport review:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14662&highlight=ksport

i have these and enjoy them very much. I don't track my car since it's my daily driver. Handles wonderfully and the ride isn't too rough. best bang for the buck? certainly, if you don't plan on taking your car to the track or autocross too often. my 2 cents.

isn't autox racing??

I would definitely opt to get a coilover that has a very very good valving and a good designed set of camber plates. For the money that you are paying for, you want a coilover that has camber plates and very friendly valving for your use (if you are planning to spend that kind of money of $1400 range). I think any coilover right now that is out there for our cars can be very suited for the spirited drive. The problem is that most people don't understand how to use them and/or don't know what a coilover is capable of doing.

If bang for the buck is the issue, you might want to double check what you want out of the car.. $800 to $1400 for a price range can give you options between 2 different setups.

Keefe

A buddy of mine had the flex w/edfc setup on his sti and hated it, he said the ride was too bouncy for him, even on the softest setting. He sold them and replaced with pink springs and some kind of aftermarket strut. He was very happy with the handling though, but his car was more for comfort and less for auto x or track use.

when they are set to soft, they are bouncy... the optimal setting for a Tein Flex on a sti is around 6/16 in the rear, 8/16 in the front.

I ran 12/12 as the absolute softest and 1/4 during track and auto-x

I had these settings on the memory of the EDFC.

Personally, I think the Flex will be quite nice. I have no experience with the K-Sport though. The Basic are exactly that, basic. They don't do much for you really.

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

• 3 weeks later...

my guess:

basic=price, comfort, mild/sporty

ksport=between basic, adds adjustability and flex

flex=most aggressive(out of these 3), sacrifice some comfort for best performance

Wish tein made the ss's, that might make things easlier. Can flex's be had with difference springs. e.g. 1 k less front and rear?

i just email tein if their going to make the ss for our cars.. i ran ss in my wrx and loved it.. i cant believe that someone would take out coilovers in favor of springs that crazy... thats like saying "im sold my ferrari for a toyota prius because the prius gets better gas milage." c'mon... i'll stick with tein easy instal no problems and a great rep. as for ksport.. i look at them and wonder how long their gonna last. they look good but their still unproven (long term). i would never buy the basic set up with tein tho.. might as well buy some springs... but hey what do i know...

• 9 months later...
when they are set to soft, they are bouncy... the optimal setting for a Tein Flex on a sti is around 6/16 in the rear, 8/16 in the front.

I ran 12/12 as the absolute softest and 1/4 during track and auto-x

I had these settings on the memory of the EDFC.

Personally, I think the Flex will be quite nice. I have no experience with the K-Sport though. The Basic are exactly that, basic. They don't do much for you really.

dampening and spring preload work together.. you can eliminate some of the bounce, but again, it's dependent on the spring rate and preload.. I personally dont like the Tein "street" level coilovers simply that they are very generic.. their "race" line offers a better sporty feel as it should be.

Again, it all comes down to setting the car up with the proper ride height and balance along with getting the correct spring rates to match the valving of teh shocks.. Tein does offer different spring rates for the coilovers, you just have to request for them, or they'll just send what they think is "the application".. I dont think they go through enough of the valving research for the street application models..

Tein is known for their racing background, hence they still spend a lot of time on their race line.. their street setups are left to be desired as I personally dont think they spend enough time doing R&D.. most of the valving I see is very broad in the rebound.. I'll have to dig up a shock dyno sheet on some of the tein street products some time..

Keefe

Archived