LegacyGT.com

Old(93) ECU's vs new(05) tuning philosophy/differences question.

biggreen96

I currently have 93 turbo wagon, it has had a vf39 on it for the the last 7-8 years, ~100k. Anyway it's chugging along just fine on the stock ecu. I have a wide band and things look just fine. I run it at twice the stock boost, 14-15 psi on my AVC-R.

I was running more boost with a safc to add fuel with bigger injectors but the ecu seemed to learn around that and it would fall out of tune it seemed like. Then I blew up my trans and went back to stock fueling and ecu but kept the vf39 on. This was 6 years ago.

My question is why doesn't this work with newer ecus? The consensus is "get a tune!" every time you pop the hood with these newer models!

Do the newer ecu's have the capability to learn as much as the older ones? Emission restrictions? Or are we just on a bandwagon helping to keep selling accessports and utecs? I understand getting a tune to eek out every ounce of performance for a race car that lives at WOT and is far from stock in fueling and other aspects displacement, intake, etc etc. But can the LGT ecu handle a vf39 or 52 like my 1993 does?

Archived