LegacyGT.com

New summer tires?

THE RZA

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good set of summer tires for my WRX. I just picked up a set of conti extreme DWS' in 245/45/17 for my winter set up on closeout from tire Rack, now for my summer set up I want something bigger than the stock Dunlop Sportmaxx's. The Conti DWS' are on my stock wheels and my Summers are on Work CR KAI's (also 17 x 8). 245's fill my wheel well out nicely but there's still room for a bigger tire. For my summer set up I want 255 or 265's if I can get them for my wheels. Any suggestions?

Well the 2015+ has huge wheel wells with the widebody, OEM tires are 235/45/17 leaving lots of room to play with larger tires in this car. I know some people have gone as big as 285's in this car without having to roll fenders but they're running coilovers.

with 8" rims 245 is as wide as you'd want to go. so 245/45/17 is a good size choice. Some Kumho Ecsta XS would be a good budget choice.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Ecsta+XS&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=445WR7EXS&tab=Sizes

if you want to go to 265s you probably need to get some 18x9.5" rims.

I run 245 all seasons on my 17 x 8 wheels now just fine. From what you both are saying, to run even wider tires I'll need to get wider rims, so I'll keep that in mind. I may just stick with the OEM Dunlop 235's for another year. Thanks for the input!

Im kicking around which would be the best tire to wrap the stock 05 LGT rims with that would give me the most width and lowest profile without a rubbing problem on a temporary factory suspension? 205/40 or 45/17

215/45/17 (which is on there stock now)

235/40/17 Not sure where to go on the stock all around set up. I will be getting Tein coilovers in March for inspection though. Got these numbers from the tire/wheel sticky on here.

Im kicking around which would be the best tire to wrap the stock 05 LGT rims with that would give me the most width and lowest profile without a rubbing problem on a temporary factory suspension? 205/40 or 45/17

215/45/17 (which is on there stock now)

235/40/17 Not sure where to go on the stock all around set up. I will be getting Tein coilovers in March for inspection though. Got these numbers from the tire/wheel sticky on here.

I avoid low profile tires now, when I had my Legacy, the OEM and replacement tires I all bought were low profiles and the north east roads got the best of them many times.

I avoid low profile tires now, when I had my Legacy, the OEM and replacement tires I all bought were low profiles and the north east roads got the best of them many times.

I agree that our roads here in the North East especially here in Pennsylvania are like driving on the moon. I still would love to make some changes to my tire size regardless of the bad roads.

just keep in mind with low pro's one pothole can be more costly than just replacing a tire. It can bend/crack a rim, a control arm or a strut. I'd rather have some beefier tires

I have had too many bent rims from construction, potholes, etc. I actually prefer the look of a higher-profile tires on a 17" wheel for the 4G Legacy. Additional benefits include cheaper tires, softer ride, cheaper wheels, etc. Obviously aesthetics are a tertiary concern and outright cornering performance may be lower, but for a street car, I think it's the way to go.

same. When you have $2000+ aftermarket wheels like I do, you want to protect them a little better. a 45 profile is a pretty good size to have to keep that protection. With the 4th gen WRX and it's gigantic wheel wells a low pro just looks weird. Even the OEM dunlops are 235/45/17.

Archived