LegacyGT.com

EJ251 Heads and Pistons in EJ253

I got a new short block from an 09 2.5i SOHC and was told I can put my SOHC EJ253 heads on it. Upon attempting today I realized there isn't enough Piston to valve clearance. Can I swap in EJ251 pistons in? The reason I ask, is that the 253 pistons have protruding "guides" for the valve, while the 251 has indents in the pistons. Thanks for any help!

Why do you want to do this without knowing what your doing ?

What's wrong with the heads that came off the car ?

Are you working with a race shop that has done this before ?

Why didn't you get the short block that goes with your heads ?

You may have better luck getting the answers your looking for from a non-Legacy GT forum.

Sorry.

Hey I can give you a link to the service manuals.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

1. I know what I'm doing just wanted to see if anyone else has done it.

2. The heads that came off my car are fine, but the piston heads hit the valves due to the new piston heads and valve reflief being taller than my current Pistons.

3. I'm a high performance tech student and have the tools and resources necessary

4. I was told that I could just put my heads and intake on and make it work.

So far so good. I've got the Pistons out of the new block and measured. After doing further research I have found someone else who has done it. Next is cylinder deglazing and new Pistons. I'll keep the thread updated

Good Luck with your project. Not many people spend time trying to get more HP out of those engines.

We're all about turbo Legacy's here.

We'll be interesting to see what you can do with this set up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived