LegacyGT.com

Coolant Pooling on Top of Engine

I have a 2002 Legacy GT LTD that my grown daughter drives, total miles 310K but this engine 160K. I had a new radiator put in this summer. Coolant was disappearing at first and they caught a radiator hose clamp that needed tightened. Everything good until now (January). It smoked the other day and I found coolant pooled mostly on drivers side top of engine under the intake.

I checked oil and it looks fine on the dipstick, not cloudy or bubbly or anything. The car has not been overheating. I also had put the conditioner in this summer after getting the radiator.

The car has a ton of miles on it but as most Subies do it still does great except for this. I read typically the head gasket on the drivers side will leak externally at the bottom rear.

Trying to check it myself but not finding anything obvious. I know there are one or two small hoses under the intake but I can't tell which they are. My husband passed away this last year and although we have always driven Subaru's (7 of them) this is a new one on me and I just don't have the knowledge he did. Any advice would be appreciated before I have to take it to the mechanic.

I finally got it back from a well meaning retired mechanic who was more worried about the brake pads than finding the source of the coolant leak! That night I could see a short hosem, probably the hose you referred to Osei. Guess I got the light just right in the dark and there it was glaring at me! Took it to a real mechanic and he said looked like a critter had been gnawing on it. Got it replaced and we're good as new! Well, as good a new as a 300K car can be. She still runs down the road great! Thanks for the answers, it relieved my mind. Just knew I didn't have a head gasket problem with it.

Archived