LegacyGT.com

Cylinder head replacement?

4-5 months ago I had a new short block installed into an 08 GT. Originally the #4 lanyard broke and rattled around the cylinder for a while before it puked its way out. A few things lead me to think I had better do a compression test and I found #4 to have only 50psi. The others were in the 130 range. I don't have the capability of doing a leak down test so im not positive what the issue is. At this point I don't know if I should bother asking the place where I had the short block done to do a leak down test or not? The motor has to come out and im assuming its going to be very obvious what the issue is. If it turns out its a head issue, do you think it is wise to go with a new head or try and find a used one?

New heads are a ton of $$$. There's no reason you can't re-use a head as long as it's not damaged. You said there was pitting on the head where the piston rattled around. That would be worth further inspection. I was wondering if you got new valves with your head work last time? If they re used the valves, it's possible you burnt one even though it's only been 6k miles. I ask because new valves adds like $600-700 if you buy all new OEM.

Whatever you end up doing, don't stay on the stock tune. It's worth the $150-$200 for an etune. The stock tune is garbage that is lean into boost and destroys pistons/valves.

Archived