LegacyGT.com

Winter tires sliding on slush

ashwinearl

I have some Continental ExtremeWinter Contacts in 205/50R17, so narrower and taller than stockers. They have 11,000 miles on them and run 35/33 psi typically. Location is Central NY

On snow covered roads they have good traction. However at intersections which have been salted/plowed the conditions are slushier. If turning through these conditions, I have hardly any traction and slide easily

I've read a few reviews saying these Conti Extremewinter contacts weren't good in slush though most reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

What do you think the issue(s) are. Tire size, tire brand, tire wear?

I am planning on getting some new winters this year and at least definitely going back to stock size. I am leaning towards the General Altimax Arctics (not studded)

thanks

Part of me wants to say that slush is in its own stupid category because it's too wet to be considered snow and it's too easily manipulated to be called ice.

Going over thick batches of it I have noticed my car tends to lose some reaction and I'm on oem size General altimax arctics (4th season at that!). Snow and even ice traction is still really good but thick slush does make things squirrelly.

I wonder if you're not in essence hydroplaning. Heavy slush seems like a hard thing for a tire to deal with, the grooves will be packed with snow and them suddenly you're going over what is essentially a really cold, deep puddle..

How old are the tires? I find winter tires get pretty useless after 4 or 5 years, even if there's lots of tread left.

Slush is tough even with great snow tires. I have brand new Altimax Artics and I still slip quite a bit in it when I try to stop at slushy/greasy intersections.

I think the tires ride upon the surface of the slush and sort of hydroplane.

Honestly, if you are driving sensibly and giving light throttle throughout the turn (I emphasize light but constant throttle) your Subaru should be able to cut through it just fine. It might be a little squirrelly but it should easily cut through it unless your talking really thick piles of slush, which then that becomes a street dept issue. Lol.

At what speed is this happening?

This is occurring even at crawling speeds. Anytime the front tires are turned sharp enough for a left hand turn, it feels like it just plows. This has even happened starting from a standstill and making a left turn onto the entrance to the highway.

The tires were mounted February 2014. I used them Winter 2014-April 2014. Then remounted Nov 2014-March 2015, and now back on Nov 20150-present

Another variable is my Koni dampers. Right now the fronts are turned all the way firm. I have't had access to the rears so am not sure what the garage set them at when they were installed.

These tires are narrower than stock and there is an immediate change to the steering when I put them on. It gets very light. I had been turning the Konis firmer to see if that would help with the floaty steering.

I think it's time to try new tires stock size anyway.

This is occurring even at crawling speeds. Anytime the front tires are turned sharp enough for a left hand turn, it feels like it just plows. This has even happened starting from a standstill and making a left turn onto the entrance to the highway.

The tires were mounted February 2014. I used them Winter 2014-April 2014. Then remounted Nov 2014-March 2015, and now back on Nov 20150-present

Another variable is my Koni dampers. Right now the fronts are turned all the way firm. I have't had access to the rears so am not sure what the garage set them at when they were installed.

These tires are narrower than stock and there is an immediate change to the steering when I put them on. It gets very light. I had been turning the Konis firmer to see if that would help with the floaty steering.

I think it's time to try new tires stock size anyway.

You don't want to run the Koni's on full firm (max adjustment). I believe that the instructions that come with them indicate that the actual usable full firm is considered 1-turn backed off from the stop in the adjuster. Years ago I set a pair to fullly adjusted firm, and they barely compressed and didn't rebound at all. It's almost as if the valving was completely closed. This will not help with floaty steering, but might be likely to wear out the shocks faster.

Narrower tires will make the steering feel lighter. Narrower tires will also be better in the snow and slush. Narrow tires put more weight per square inch on the asphalt, which helps displace snow, water, and slush. In reality, the stock size versus the narrower one you run aren't that big of a difference.

You might be expecting too much from winter tires. Your old brighton wagon had a lot less power, so you probably drove it slower and ran into fewer issues.

Thick slush is hydro planing at its worst. It seems you can't get the tire on the road, tires get loaded and you just flatten the slush with no real contact on terra firma. Right now I'm home, waiting for the blizzard to halt.. Winds at 35-55 gusting to mid 60's and there are mini "snow-nados" all over da place. My 3 Subes are getting buried.....

• 2 weeks later...

Not the same tire, I know, but I am running Conti DWS All seasons (235's) on the LGT, and they are IMO, basically useless in snow. The old OEM Bridgestones were not good, but these? I can get traction, sort of, but steering is hopeless. The car just wanders all over, even at walking speed on my driveway - steering mostly consists of bouncing off the piled up snow either side of the drive.

The tread seems to be too like a summer tire - not very "open", and it seems to fill with snow almost immediately so they just do not "dig in" at all. I like them in dry and wet conditions, but they will be gone before next winter......

On the other hand, the Vette has Pilot Sport All Seasons and they got me home in unexpected snow a couple times last winter - did much better than I expected, given that RWD and wide tires is not a happy combination in snow.

Not the same tire, I know, but I am running Conti DWS All seasons (235's) on the LGT, and they are IMO, basically useless in snow. The old OEM Bridgestones were not good, but these? I can get traction, sort of, but steering is hopeless. The car just wanders all over, even at walking speed on my driveway - steering mostly consists of bouncing off the piled up snow either side of the drive.

The tread seems to be too like a summer tire - not very "open", and it seems to fill with snow almost immediately so they just do not "dig in" at all. I like them in dry and wet conditions, but they will be gone before next winter......

On the other hand, the Vette has Pilot Sport All Seasons and they got me home in unexpected snow a couple times last winter - did much better than I expected, given that RWD and wide tires is not a happy combination in snow.

A lot of people have really good things to say about the DWS. My experience has always mirrored yours. They work fine, if you don't care about stopping or turning.

I think on packed snow they are okay, but when it's actively snowing, I have never felt any confidence in them.

Caveat - I am from California, didn't grow up driving in the snow, and only drive a few times a year when it happens to be snowing on the way to the mountains.

A lot of people have really good things to say about the DWS. My experience has always mirrored yours. They work fine, if you don't care about stopping or turning.

Just for grins I looked them up on 2015 Consumer reports - their take is they are a good tire, except for snow, where they earn the black blob rating. I bought mine a while back, so not too painful $wise to change them.

Going in a straight line at about 5 mph with a good half a turn of lock on is kind of hilarious though. Brings a new meaning to understeer.

I have some Continental ExtremeWinter Contacts in 205/50R17, so narrower and taller than stockers. They have 11,000 miles on them and run 35/33 psi typically. Location is Central NY

On snow covered roads they have good traction. However at intersections which have been salted/plowed the conditions are slushier. If turning through these conditions, I have hardly any traction and slide easily

I've read a few reviews saying these Conti Extremewinter contacts weren't good in slush though most reviews are overwhelmingly positive.

What do you think the issue(s) are. Tire size, tire brand, tire wear?

I am planning on getting some new winters this year and at least definitely going back to stock size. I am leaning towards the General Altimax Arctics (not studded)

thanks

Many people seem to rate the Michelin X-ice and the Bridgestone Blizzaks highly. Taller, narrower is better for snow though, as they dig in better.

Archived