LegacyGT.com

How do I make a spare key for my 2005 GT?

Hi,

I have a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT. I need a spare key…

I bought a blank at Amazon and had Home Depot cut the key. The key now opens the car and fits into the ignition, but it won’t turn the car on because apparently the transponder needs to be activated/programmed. I contacted several locksmiths and they said that they could not activate the transponder. I finally talked to a locksmith that said that nobody can do it because my Subaru key is a “dealer-only” key. I think Subaru charges a fortune to make a spare key. Are there any other inexpensive ways to do this rather than have Subaru sell me a spare key?

P.S. My last Subaru required a $2 hardware store key. This project is a mini-nightmare.

Please keep answers simple.

Thanks.

If I recall correctly, you can have up to 4 keys programmed. The cars came with 3, two normal keys and a valet key. Take all your keys to a dealership and have them programmed is the easy answer.

I have however heard of some people sticking one of the keys under the dash near the lock cylinder to enable them to use the cheap hardware store keys. That might be the cheapest route to take.

Yep 4 keys. But if he is needing a spare I think it's safe to assume the valet and extra keys are gone. I think the dealer charged me $70 for cutting a new key and reprogramming my 3.

Also OP make sure the spare key you bought actually has a transmitter in it or else you will be wasting your time.

Sent from somewhere in Potatoland

Archived