LegacyGT.com

Is it just me or Legacy sucks at handling compared to impreza & forester

I owned 2000 rs, 02 wrx, 04 sti, 02 impreza NA, 04 Forester NA before.

Now I have 05 legacy gt and 2008 legacy 2.5i (both automatic)

In all my subaru experience I never seen any model handle as bad as the legacies. They don't even come close.

Both legacy gt and 2.5i can't get good traction in rain or snow. My wife actually refuses to drive the 08 2.5i in snow. There is Dunlop wintersport tires installed on them.

I still have a 02 impreza wagon NA, I took it out in the packed snowy (icy) side roads yesterday with worn summer tires and this car still gets much better traction than the legacies.

What is wrong with these cars ? :confused:

Better traction how? Accelerating? Braking? Handling?

I have had several Legacies with snow tires and my automatic 05 GT by far has the best traction because the automagic always keeps it in a high gear where it has no torque. The 05 is a wagon and has completely stock suspension. It does understeer quite bad off throttle, but with the LSD it will oversteer on command on anything other than dry pavement.

I also have a WRX and while that car feels more agile due to being lighter and better equipped suspension wise I still wouldn't say the Legacy is vastly inferior.

Better in accelerating, handling. Did not have problem with braking.

Both legacies are stock too.

Legacies spin tires from a stop (wet and snow). I have to take off really slow so it can get some traction before I can accelerate.

Cornering also feels uncomfortable. Understeers, losses grip.

I don't know maybe I am so used to the impreza.

These are all for wet/snow conditions.

So I am wrong that my 02 impreza with summer tires get better traction than 08 legacy 2.5i with winter tires ?

It does believe it or not. I guess both legacies have a problem than.

You're buggin. Or you should hook us up with some of whatever you're on.

I learned to drive on a 2004 legacy autotragic, currently daily an 05 lgt manual, and regularly drive a 2010 3.6r and a 2012 2.5i.

I have Conti DWS's (aka junk no -seasons) on the lgt, and had no problem taking off on snow and ice without wheelspin. The car is understeer-prone, like most subarus, but they all have plenty of grip and drive similarly when you aren't being a hoon.

You know that the gas pedal has settings between "idle" and "whiskey throttle", right?

Yes, a near stock lgt can blow the tires off easily in the wet. You can also even more easily not hit full boost while turning at low speeds.

Yea. Your 150hp 2.5i spins tires in the wet. I'm pretty sure the problem is in the drivers seat.

Yea, isn't that weird "my taillights are so dark, you won't see me braking"

Find something else to entertain yourself teenager.

What's up with the idiot fanboys trying to make themselves feel better about their car :lol:

Maybe there is something wrong with my legacies. Just pointing out the difference I see with my impreza and legacy. I drive them same style and legacy just cant handle what impreza can do.

See, I guess I am not the only one thinks that way. NA Impreza don't do that in stock (w/ good tires)

Yes, a near stock lgt can blow the tires off easily in the wet.

What's up with the idiot fanboys trying to make themselves feel better about their car :lol:

Maybe there is something wrong with my legacies. Just pointing out the difference I see with my impreza and legacy. I drive them same style and legacy just cant handle what impreza can do.

See, I guess I am not the only one thinks that way. NA Impreza don't do that in stock (w/ good tires)

I like feeding trolls, so let's keep this going!

OP, can you explain any technical reasons why the Impeza has a superior drivetrain (and consequently traction) to the Legacy? I'd like to hear the significant differences between the transmission, differentials, and any electrical controls that make one Subaru model any better or worse in the poor traction situations. Of course, there are obvious differences comparing manual and auto transmissions, some versions have rear limited slip diff, as well as the VDC and non-VDC models.

In my personal experience, my '96 auto Legacy did have better traction in the snow than my '04 (2.5i Leg, manual), '08 (2.5 Leg auto), '08 (LGT manual), '08 (3.0R, auto), and '10 Forester (2.5i auto). The main reason is that my '96 has less torque and smaller/narrower tires so it was really hard to break traction when you floor it. In any case, the drivetrain and technologies are so similar across models that any statements about one Subaru having far more traction to another is ridiculous (except for the BRZ or the STI, I suppose). An '02 Impreza with a 5-speed won't be much different than an '02 Legacy with a 5-speed (other than a weight penalty on the Legacy). A 2008 Impreza w/ auto will be similar to a 2008 Legacy w/ auto.

Troll on!

I mean I agree with OP. My car sucks at maintaining traction in the wet and on the snow. Once, I was turning in the rain and I revved up the engine and dropped the clutch. I fishtailed a little. This other time I got stuck in a level driveway and had to put chains on in order to get out.

Had absolutely nothing to do with the terrible tires that were on the car or my driving....

My stage 3 Legacy does just fine at WOT in the wet with Conti DWS tires. Not quite sure what is the problem you're having.

The DWS's are alright until it gets below 50 degrees, then wheelspin happens in second in the wet on a stage 1 5mt car. Then again, I'm at WOT when this happens, and I can always choose to not drive like an asshole. They're far from the worst all season I've driven on (that title goes to the Michelin MXM4), I just hate all seasons because they make too many compromises in order to kinda-almost-work everywhere.

I still don't understand the surprise/confusion that a 250hp car with loads of midrange torque is more likely to break the tires loose than a car with 100 less hp/torque...

Traction control was invented for drivers like you and your wife.

My 2005 LGT is a manual with the OEM suspension and it rides and handles like a 1990's Buick. I can't wait to throw on some Tein street Tech's or some Bilsteins with some better springs because with all of the other mod's I have done to this car it is not fun during spirited driving or in harsh or any kind of cornering compared to the Volvo S60 R I got rid of last summer to buy this LGT.

I've had a few Imprezas and just one Legacy. I vastly prefer the handling dynamics of the Impreza to the Legacy. I chalk it up to the Legacy being a bigger, heavier, longer car.

As far as your traction issue is concerned, take a hard look at the tread depth on your winter tires. The depth of the tread blocks is crucial for water evacuation and traction in snow. 5/32" should be the minimum on a set of tires meant for usage in snow.

Better in accelerating, handling. Did not have problem with braking.

Both legacies are stock too.

Legacies spin tires from a stop (wet and snow). I have to take off really slow so it can get some traction before I can accelerate.

Cornering also feels uncomfortable. Understeers, losses grip.

Can you verify all 4 wheels are spinning? It sounds like your auto transmissions may have the FWD fuse inserted.

No not all 4. Actually I paid more attention to what the car is actually doing. It spins the front wheels.

Right away I opened the fuse box to see if the FWD fuse was inserted but no.

I am talking about the 2008 2.5i which does not have 250hp.

Snow tires are at 85% life. No mods on the car.

LoL even the mod is fanboi, couple more ppl agreed about the impreza being better and he moves the thread somewhere else. Don't take too much pride on a material !

I am thinking about selling it and getting a forester instead.

No not all 4. Actually I paid more attention to what the car is actually doing. It spins the front wheels.

LoL even the mod is fanboi, couple more ppl agreed about the impreza being better and he moves the thread somewhere else. Don't take too much pride on a material !

Something may be wrong with your car. If I remember, the torque split may be up to 90/10 f/r on vanilla autobox Subarus. I'd get it checked out if I were you.

Or, get what you really want, which is an auto WRX wagon/Forester XT.

Yes. A Forester will handle far better than a Legacy. Very sensible.

Yes. A Forester will handle far better than a Legacy. Very sensible.

To be fair. We aren't talking about handling. We are talking about "snow traction" and the Legacy's apparent lack of it. Somehow the AWD system in the Legacy w/ snow tires is worse than the AWD system in an Impreza with summer tires in the snow / rain.

To be fair. We aren't talking about handling. We are talking about "snow traction" and the legacy apparent lack of it. Somehow the AWD system in the Legacy w/ snow tires is worse than the AWD system in an Impreza with summer tires in the snow / rain.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

:lol:

Archived