LegacyGT.com

P0325 knock sensor code and misfire low power

Recently swapped in a 98 forester motor in my 1997 legacy GT. Motor ran fine in the forester it came out of and ran great in my legacy for a few days. I now have a knock sensor code (p0325) along with a misfire and low power that is an on off symptom. Car will drive fine for 20 miles then I have no power and knock sensor code pops up. Then it will go away after a few miles and do it again. Replaced coilpack plugs and wires but no change. Also tried swapping out the knock sensor with a used one lying around but no change either. I know the knock sensor usually throws a code when they develop a crack in the casing but both sensors looked fine. Any tips advice experience would be much appreciated thank you.

i would recheck all tghe connections for both the knock sensor and the engine itself.

dirt or corrosion or a bent pin may be a problem.

also follow the wire harness back from the knock sensor.

ther may be a crack or break.

worst case,

replace the entire intake manifold from the old engine , harness included.

a plus with this is that the intake will match your charcoal canister, up front.

how did you deal with that.?

does the 98 forester have the canister in the rear?

the legos did in 98.

Possibly replace the wiring on the knock sensor. Not just the plug. The whole thing. Piezo sensors last almost forever (unless they crack) but the wiring, not so much. PITA because you need to remove the intake manifold to really get to it.

i would recheck all tghe connections for both the knock sensor and the engine itself.

dirt or corrosion or a bent pin may be a problem.

also follow the wire harness back from the knock sensor.

ther may be a crack or break.

worst case,

replace the entire intake manifold from the old engine , harness included.

a plus with this is that the intake will match your charcoal canister, up front.

how did you deal with that.?

does the 98 forester have the canister in the rear?

the legos did in 98.

My old motor was actually a 98 motor as well. As for the evap situation the only difference between the stock lines on a 97 manifold and the 98 is the 97 goes towards the front to the canister inlet then goes back to the purge solenoid when the 98 just runs a hard line straight to the purge solenoid. So on my I just ran a 2ft length rubber hose from the hardline that goes to the purge solenoid to the canister inlet and another 2 ft hose back to the purge solenoid valve. No check engine light doing it this way and pretty easy cheap solution. If i had a 97 manifold I would swap it over or swap the lines but I do not have one.

ok for the evap system,

good solution.

but that leaves the power and knock sensor problem.

the old intake and harness worked fine, right.

granted that 98 forester ran fine as well.

but things happen when you swap engines.

plug wires go from ok to not,

so maybe the harness on the intake got dinged in the swap.

• 4 weeks later...
Problem solved, I discovered that the plug for the knock sensor on the harness side was loose and where the wire/connector meet. I was able to slide it in and out pretty easily. I pulled the connector off and soldered another one on from an old harness lying around and the car now runs great and no codes.

Archived