LegacyGT.com

Turbo or Exhaust

Hey, so i have a 05 gt with about 102,000. Next month will be geting cobb dp, grimmspeed up, bulletproof tmic and pro tune. I wanted to get exhaust but from talking with someone local they reccommend i replace the turbo. Now john makes great remanufactured turbos from what ive read. So my question is should i replace turbo now sense its only a matter of time before it goes. Or should i go with exhaust? Would like to here your input. THanks guys

Go with the turbo. The last thing you want is to spend money on an exhaust and tune only to have a turbo go bad. It's peace of mind.

+1

The things you can do to check the basics of the turbo is:

1: feel the turbine in the turbo, can you feel it wiggle around?

Depending on how much play, the more it wiggles the worse the condition

2: Check the banjo filters. There 2 or 3 I dont remember exactly, but searching on the forums or even via google you will find a walkthrough that shows where you can find them.

These more often than not are the culprits on why the turbos go in our cars. The get filled up with gunk in the oil and end up starving the turbo.

My .02, get a new turbo. Dont risk having the turbo eat itself and crap down your new fancy exhaust.

plus John offers modified turbos that offer better spooling, or atleast he offered it when I bought 1 off him back in February of last year.

I am tuned to about 17.5 psi and his reman turbo is pushing hard :)

Turbo.

Exhaust, just remove the mufflers and see if that loud enough for you ? My wagon is still running the stock mid pipe and magna-flow knock off mufflers.

Has your timing belt been replaced yet ? Its do at 105,000 miles

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Before you spend all the money , have you done compression / leak down test? Make sure your engine internals are still healthy. It all checks out go with the new turbo first, unless you know all the maintenance and use of the vehicle it could be on its last legs... Blowing/ detonating a turbo can take out your engine. Everyone here will tell you a new engine done correctly will cost around 6,000. Way more than a new turbo.

Archived