LegacyGT.com

A/F and IAM issues after headgasket job

07 LGT 5EAT. 89k miles.

I had my heads and gaskets done a couple months back and now have been tackling a/f issues.

Just before I brought the car to the shop I had just gotten my a/f under control (A: around -2, D: around -3 or -4). Much better than the -9/-11 I had been seeing. I also had found a small leak in the IC, which I have puttied up until I can get a new one. I had also checked all the lines and TB hose. Also tightened my uppipe heat shield (have an exhaust clamp holding it) which doesn't move at all now. So all was good.

After I got the car back from getting the heads done, it started up, drove fine, no weird noises, no leaks.

Wife took car to work and said car was a little laggy and had a whistle noise. I thought TB hose, which it was. It was not fully straight on the TB.

Ended up buying an AVO silicon TB hose. Bit of a pain to get on, but I got it all lined up and tightened.

Pressurize the system and notice IM gasket leaking. I had another new set of the orange o-rings, so I replaced the one that was leaking (looks like it got pinched).

Pressure up the system (both through air intake and bpv). Holds pressure, no leak sounds, sprayed soapy water around no more bubbles at the IM or anywhere else.

Now to the issue.

The system holds pressure and the car still drives fine at this point. Reset ECU, took for a drive.

A/F A: -6.00 D: -8.00 (B and C are at or near 0).

Showing some positive 0.25 and negative -1 to -2 knock across the board in LV.

In RomRaider my IAM starts at .75 (of course) and after a bit of driving shows max 1.000 and current 0.9375. Timing is being pulled for some reason. The only time I had an IAM below 1.000 was when I first got the car (about 50k miles ago) and the turbo inlet needed to be replaced.

I did make a smoke tester, I just can't get it to generate enough smoke, so need to fiddle more with it.

Plan is to get a new IC and front O2 sensor (year and half old).

Other thoughts?

Update. I have a new O2 coming and a used Perrin TMIC (thanks legacychick!). Let's see if this helps out.

I'm thinking I will put on the IC and check the car with that since I know it was leaking at one point. If still issues I'll replaced the O2.

May be loosen the turbo on the up pipe when your installing the Perrin tmic. After the tmic is located then tighten the turbo back on the up pipe.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the idea.

I've read a tune would be a good thing with a this TMIC (of course) but is not needed. I do plan on getting it retuned after I get this issue resolved.

I'm just trying to figure out why I'm running rich, this should point me in the right direction and shouldn't throw off my a/f off further should it?

• 2 weeks later...

Little update. I got this just about taken care of.

Found my UP heat shield was loose. Got a new exhaust clamp (after breaking the bolt on the old one) and cranked that down, no more rattle.

Got the Perrin TMIC installed. Going to be selling my AVO TB hose as I didn't realize it doesn't work with the Perrin. No biggie as I bought it prior.

Numbers were looking good for a 30 miles trip. A and B pretty much 0, C +2.0 D: -3.0

Got just about home and got a running lean code - popped the hose from the BVP to the manifold off at the manifold. I'll be zip tying that this weekend.

• 4 weeks later...

After my numbers got skewed again I found my IM gasket (closest to drivers side) still had a slight leak. Cleaned the area, re-seated the gasket and all good. Also the larger hose to the BVP is pretty chewed (already cut the end off) have to get it perfectly lined up and clamped so it doesn't leak; got a new to me one from the forum, will install one day.

Numbers are good after about 300 - 400 miles, approx:

A: close to 0

B: close to 0

C: -1

D: -5

I would like to clean up that -5 on the D range eventually.

I do have knock (will post a LV), which I think is a combo of the heat shield and having a 5EAT. Will be pulling the UP soon as possible to cut that shield off and wrap it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Smoke was coming from the TVG where the sensor sits in the 05/06, no sensor on the 07. Looks like it is meant to "leak" there is no gasket and has two cuts on the underside, must have something to do with redesign. That was when I checked from the BPV hose. I'll be checking from the inlet side soon.

I did secure all the hoses with clamps.

LV is much better, though I have some knock.

A: -0.20 B: -0.80 C: -0.80 D: -4.5

• 2 months later...

Just to close out this thread. I used JB weld to fill in the holes under where the TGV sensors would go, then covered the whole end cap in RTV.

Still had some issues with the OEM TB hose and the Perrin TMIC. Ended up getting a Tomioka silicon, which is almost exactly the same as the Avo hoses. I ended up shaving a slight angle on both ends of the hose to get the angle just right.

Everything is secure, numbers looks good, no more (or no more than usual) lag from a stop.

Archived