LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Wagon 140k miles info

blcnghtsky

A 2005 LGT Wagon in either SWP or BSM (gloomy day when I drove past on way to work and did a double take) showed up about 2 mins from my house. It's a small car lot so chances are they don't necessarily have their "128pt inspection" routine that other dealerships may have and I don't trust those anyways.

This is more of a "what should I look for" topic.

No need to give info turbo/oil and engine related as I've read up a lot about that and know the steps to take with compression/leak down tests, seeing if turbo was replaced, checking banjo bolts if I do buy the car... Etc. (Turbo wiki failure thread)

I will also say this... I will be taking it to a trusted mechanic when I get into that position, right now I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to pursue more. I'm in the market for one, so there is reason to go look at it more closely.

It's a 5EAT Limited GT with ~140k on it.

What am I looking/listening for when I check it out? To give my level of "expertise" about cars.... I have not torn down a car or modified one in anyway save for stupider teenager stuff on a Nissan Sentra I owned, but do most of my own maintenance with changing oil, brakes, tire rotation, etc. I would like to be able to fix up this next vehicle I own (looking for 4th gen LGT) and tinker with it (with the help of a buddy of mine who has owned I think 9 subarus 7 of which were Turbo.)

Thanks for any and all help and advice you could provide. I will continue to research and study up!

Sounds like you should take your buddy with you and trust his instincts since he will be helping you work on it. There isn't much we can tell you through the web that he can't check on the fly. Listening and feeling a car is as important as any test you can perform on it, if you are subjective and experienced.

Much appreciated boxkita! I will review it.

I'm currently in a 5th gen 2.5i but family life is happening and I need to sell it. Just using this as an opportunity to get a fun DD that I can tinker with now that we can haul all the kiddos in the evil van. [emoji48]

Called the car lot, said it has a clean carfax, no accidents, 2 owner car. I know that doesn't say anything about the maintenance on it, but it's good to know.

Any further advice or good posts about some checks to do an a high mileage LGT (I'm still searching myself) I'd gladly accept.

A fun dd and 140k 2 owner lgt are sort of mutual ly exclusive these days. If this engine wasnt rebuilt recently it will probably need it soon. Rebuild costs are running 5 to 10k depending on your ability and options list. That thread has most of the good recommendation s on it. If those all pass you have best chance of a decent car

• 2 weeks later...
The car doesn't look too bad, seems to be in decent condition. If it has the original motor in it, it may be on borrowed time. Price is high for an auto with 140k. I'd definitely triple check the motor and turbo and find out if the car has any sort of warranty from the dealer and beat them up on the price.

Much appreciated advice from all... It was just letting the excitement of finding a wagon less than a mile from my home when the next closest is around 200 miles away.

Sensibly this wouldn't be the best choice given it probably IS on borrowed time and while yea I would love to build it, I want to do so at my pace.

Next!

If you are serious about a build, there is nothing that says you have to wait on a car to get started, find a long block and get it built and then the possibilities open up and you don't have to worry about an engine problem when shopping since you can have one waiting for a home.

Archived