LegacyGT.com

Used 5th Gen Legacy's observations

Initially I was think I need to find another local modified LGT to drive in to see if the LGT is going to meet my expectations. However, the more I thought about it, I will just take a leap of faith that I will be able to meet those expectation with a stage I or II. I was planing at least modify the car to stage 1.

Well, you certainly have some options to find a modified 5th gen. I can think of Chriscrash (stage 1) and Pfoyle (stage 2+, RacerX TMIC, and Bilsteins I think). I know there's a few others with modified 5th gen LGTs as well. I think sending a couple of PMs before you buy anything couldn't hurt.

An update to my post, at the time I decided that I was going to wait until I paid off my 2.5i and then make a decision.

2 week ago, I was on vacation. My son is starting kindergarden this coming week and the end of the payments for private preschool is in sight. My Subaru isn't quite paid off, but it should be paid off around the new year. While I on vacation relaxing, I was debating should I either waiting a few more years and buying a new 6MT WRX or buy a 5th Gen LGT.

Ultimately I like my Legacy, I came to the conclusion that I am going to buy a 2012 LGT.

Ideally, I would like to buy one in 2017, but if the right one came up I will jump on it. I have lot of frequently flyer miles, so traveling to buy a car long distance isn't a big deal.

Anyways, a 2012 GGM, came up for sale at my local dealership 15 miles away. Today, I checked the car out. It had tons of scratches on it from someone seemingly going cray with snow brush. I didn't notice most of them until after I had them wash the car off after I had test driven the car. I also noticed the driver door painted didn't match after cleaning.

On the test drive, here are my couple observations.

It felt a lot like my car in driving at low rpm, the way it handled, drove, part throttle low rpm acceleration, etc.

I notice the higher ratio 5th and 6th gears on the highway, mostly in the tach rpm.

In normal driving the rpm don't overshoot in LGT when i put in the clutch. [if shift my 2.5i at 2500rpm, my rpms jump to 2700-2800rpm. I can take my foot off the gas just before I shift to eliminate it, but its PIA to time it just right. Too early and the car decelerates - I now just let the rpm overshoot.]

I was surprised at how much heavier the clutch was than my 2.5i. [The only replacement part that is different between the 2.5i & 2.5GT for a clutch replacement is the throwout bearing.] It is no big deal, I will get used to it.

The HK radio sounded noticeably better than my premium's radio. I thought the door rest and armrest were leather looking at the dealer brochures, but it is the same vinyl with gray stitching [emoji38]

I was expecting a little more in how it accelerated. I know Subaru limits the boost in 1st and 2nd, so maybe that is a big factor. I drove the car sanely but I did got WOT in 1st and 2nd gear. I have idea of what I want my car to feel like. I like the way my stock Syclone and my Corvette felt as well as the stock Evo VIII and IX I have test driven. Those were all mid 13's car. Initially I was think I need to find another local modified LGT to drive in to see if the LGT is going to meet my expectations. However, the more I thought about it, I will just take a leap of faith that I will be able to meet those expectation with a stage I or II. I was planing at least modify the car to stage 1.

When I test drove mine, I remember thinking that this car didn't feel as fast as the Mazdaspeed6 I had 2 cars previous. With an off the shelf stage 1 tune, that situation was easily reversed. With my stage 1 etune, its another huge improvement.

Archived