LegacyGT.com

04 Legacy 35th anniversary rebuild/turbo

Hey guys. I got an 04 legacy 35th anniversary 2.5 non turbo with a blown head gasket. I was just going to replace the gasket, but I found a complete turbo kit for dirt cheap. I was going to bore the cylinders .20-.40 over, shave the heads,replace stock pistons with steel top and rebuild the exhaust. I was wondering if I'm going to far,not far enough, whatever. Like anyone I like to save money. Would the stock pistons/connecting rods ect. Hold up to a low/mid boost turbo?I'm not planning on running it like a race car, just want the power to be there if I need it. Thanks.

Welcome!

This question, as unique as it always sounds, comes up every 1-2 months. Short answer, stop.

Replace your head gasket, sell the car, and buy a fast one. Well not a super fast car, just one that has the power there if you need it.

Or, if you're brave, ignore the next few posts that say something similar, and do it yourself. It's not impossible, but for the time/money/effort, best to start with a different car.

If it's not your daily, I'd probably do it. Turbo setups can be pieced together extremely cheaply. If you actually need the car to be reliable, I wouldn't. Basically start with the assumption that you're going to blow it up at least once before you get it right. If blowing it up would get a reaction of "lol, that's a couple hundred bucks down the drain, time to throw in another junkyard motor and turn it down a couple pounds/pull some timing out" go for it. If it blowing up would result in questions like "How am I going to get to work/school? This is going to be a huge problem for my life" you should probably hold off.

I bought my LGT so I could have a nice reliable daily that's already fast enough to not want to modify, and instead screw with my accord (which is getting boosted if I don't stumble across an 8000+rpm F20B swap on the cheap). I ended up messing with both cars, because I genuinely cannot help myself.

Yeah it's my daily.but like I said I wasn't planning on driving it like a race car.I was actually looking at some junkyard motors to build on but I might as well buy a brand new long block for what they want. Lol.if the turbo is out, what about getting it bored/heads shaved/port and polish? That probably wouldn't even be worth the money eh?

Yeah it's my daily.but like I said I wasn't planning on driving it like a race car.I was actually looking at some junkyard motors to build on but I might as well buy a brand new long block for what they want. Lol.if the turbo is out, what about getting it bored/heads shaved/port and polish? That probably wouldn't even be worth the money eh?

If it's a slushbox, I wouldn't really do much, but if it's a manual you could probably put together a decently fun (not necessarily crazily powerful, but fun and willing) engine for it.

Make the torque low, and keep it breathing well enough to spin it to higher rpms so it keeps pulling until somewhere near the rev limiter.

Breathing mods to give you some more room to work with (most likely a header and exhaust), and a set of cams with a mild reground by Delta to take advantage of the improved airflow would bring the powerband up some.

It allegedly has 165-170hp stock, which isn't bad, and it's not exactly a peaky engine.

Look at some 2.5RS builds for inspiration. A 200 crank hp NA engine that likes to rev is a lot of fun.

Example: My accord currently. With a header and intake manifold swap, it actually pulls to 6500rpm, rather than falling on its face at 5200. It probably only makes 160-170hp at the crank, but it's a fun car to drive because it's responsive (in a way that my LGT can only dream about) and willing.

It's an automatic. I've decided to just find motor from a junkyard and build it. Just fix my head gaskets and deal with it. Lol.don't get me wrong, it will rip and tear stock. It pulls harder than my mom's 05 outback. I just wanted the extra power to buzz around the Sunday driver. I pass a lot of the l those on my 1 hour 10 minute commute to work. Thanks for all the advice and convincing me not to blow my motor up. Lol.oh, do you know where I could find a cam for my car? I've only found stock reman'd.

Talk to a machine shop they may be able to weld your cams and regrind them.

You sound like your young. Not that that's a bad thing...you haven't learned yet, you need to pay to play. Wish I was young again and know what I know now.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Huh. Never knew they could do that.And yeah, young enough I guess. Lol.27.first time doing a 4cyl.been trying to get as much advice and ideas as possible.never worked with turbos either. I think I found the right guy to help. He was the top tech at the local Subaru dealership for 10 years and top sales for 16.owns his own shop now.thanks for the advice.

Talk to a machine shop they may be able to weld your cams and regrind them.

You sound like your young. Not that that's a bad thing...you haven't learned yet, you need to pay to play. Wish I was young again and know what I know now.

Delta Camshaft is great for exactly this.

And I guess I don't get to say I'm actually "young" anymore, since I'm 25, lol.

Literally kept my honda so I can do the kinds of things I wanted to do when I was 18-19 but lacked the resources/ability to do.

Archived