LegacyGT.com

copper washers for banjo bolts

pdw

What method requires removing the banjo bolts? The reason why calipers have bleed screws, is just for the sole purpose of bleeding/purging. What benefit is there in removing the banjo bolts, I'm curious? Details?

If you are looking to pick them up somewhere else other than the dealer, then any auto parts store should have them. They are nothing special, just standard copper crush washers.

This is the bleed method I'm using which is what used at the Mercedes dealer I worked at and is also what Ford (yeah, I know but it works) recommends to their mechanics.

First, take the banjo bolt out and fill the hole with brake fluid. Put it back in and then run a hose (filled with brake fluid) from the bleeder to a jar filled with brake fluid. Try to have the jar at a close level to the caliper. This prevents air from being sucked back in. Then, pump the brake pedal about 30 times per caliper adding fluid to the resevoir as needed.

I've done this a few times and it really does seem to work better than any other method I've found. I'm hoping it'll help the pedal feel enough that I'm not inclined to spend $200 on braided lines.

Awful lot of work.

After using other methods (pumping and a vacuum bleeder on my compressor), the best method is the Motive pressure bleeder:

http://www.motiveproducts.com/

It is a true one-man operation, and it is very easy to completely flush the system. I have adaptors for all of the cars. I keep the bleeder, adaptors, hoses, etc in a plastic tool box, and it's easy to take along to track events.

Ron

uh, if you take out the banjo bolts, then what about the air that gets caught up in the calipers accidently?

The typical fashion of having a 2-person job is the best as I found:

1) pump brakes

2) hold pedal to the ground

3) while with a firm pedal force, release bleed valve

4) close valve after fluid stops coming out of it to prevent air suction, pedal will sink to the floor, do not let off the brake pedal until the valve is closed

5) check fluid level in master cylinder and fill to the top as neccessary to prevent air suction

6) repeat

This fashion is done by the World Rally Team with a total of 5 people AND a pressure pump attached to the master cylinder and they can get the brakes bled in 2 mins or less. I'll do what the race engineers and mechanics do.

Btw, how do you fill a hole of the caliper if the hole is on the side of the caliper??? with a grease gun?

Keefe

you take the caliper off and turn it so the hole is pointing up. The point of doing this is that air does get caught in the threads of the banjo bolt and unless you assemble that bolt wet, there's no way to get the air out. I've done it before and it is effective. You're welcome to use whatever method you like.

cynical mode on/

If that's the way a dealership does it, it sure sounds like a way to get a bunch of extra billable time. Kinda like pulling off the doors, hood, and decklid when you wax the car!

cyncal mode off/

I agree, if it works, that's fine. But I can put the car on four jackstands, pull the wheels, fire up the Motive pressure bleeder, and have the system flushed and the car back on the ground in under an hour easy. With a firm pedal every time.

Ron

I agree, if it works, that's fine. But I can put the car on four jackstands, pull the wheels, fire up the Motive pressure bleeder, and have the system flushed and the car back on the ground in under an hour easy. With a firm pedal every time.

Get a friend, you can get it all done in 30 mins from start to finish ;)

Keefe

The important part here is assembling the banjo bolt wet. After that, the other methods listed here are fine. The threads on the banjo bolt do trap air and that won't some out with bleeding in most cases. Taking the caliper out really isn't that difficult and if I bleed them again (assuming the same calipers) I wouldn't bother with this method the second time.

Archived