LegacyGT.com

Any advice to prepare brand new wheels?

My wife has just bought me some new wheels for Christmas... I've had lots of sets of wheels but never a set all wrapped up in cling film and sitting in cardboard boxes straight from the factory :lol:

I've got some Poorboys wheel sealant - I was going to give them all a couple of coats of that before getting the tyres fitted... Is that enough? Should I do the area of the rim which is covered by the tyre as well?

Any advice appreciated...

Also any recommendations for tyre valve stems? - are the pretty alloy ones OK?

Cheers :spin:

Any sealant is fine. Wash them often. Seal every 6 months. Rinse Salt off.

Wheel stems are often just personal preference. Regardless of what people tell you they both are reliable as long as you change them when you change tires. Metal ones are obviously more expensive as they should be and the caps actually act as a second seal. Can't go wrong with rubber ones. I have the rubber ones that come with a metal sleeve and metal caps. It's just bling.

Whatever you go with, make sure they don't protrude out passed the face of the rim especially with the metal ones! They sell stubby stems if need be.

• 1 month later...
I have had good luck with poorboys wheel sealant. I apply it using Microfiber gloves to get into every nook and cranny.

I had good result with that brand and yes you are correct in using a MF gloves in applying the product, it will make is easy and you can sure access every nook and cranny of any type of wheel.

don't waste your time with paste wheel sealants. jump right into Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels, It is a wheel ceramic that is outstanding, im well over a yr, on my dads car and I just rinse away brake dust, about 1 yr on my summer wheels, and same thing brake dust just rinses off, if anything I can hit it with a wheel brush and nothing more then exterior soap, nothing harsh is needed.

don't waste your time with paste wheel sealants. jump right into Carbon Collective Platinum Wheels, It is a wheel ceramic that is outstanding, im well over a yr, on my dads car and I just rinse away brake dust, about 1 yr on my summer wheels, and same thing brake dust just rinses off, if anything I can hit it with a wheel brush and nothing more then exterior soap, nothing harsh is needed.

This stuff http://www.bearswaxfactory.co.uk/carbon-collective-platinum-wheels-748-p.asp

Looks good... :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived