LegacyGT.com

Coolant low after timing belt change

I had my timing belt/water pump/thermostat changed by a mechanic recently. I don't see any coolant leaking anywhere. The coolant level in the expansion tank was low when I get home. I filled it to the full level and drove to work the next day. Again when I got home the level in the expansion tank was low.

I provided a gates kit, OEM water pump, OEM thermostat, OEM green coolant, and OEM coolant conditioner.

Does this point to a air in the system and probably not going through the full Subaru way of burping the system.

I am going to get one of those spill free coolant funnels and go through the burping procedure.

It takes a couple drive cycles to get a proper reading on the overflow tank when it cools down the rad will try to suck in some coolant from the overflow. It usually takes 5-6 heating to cooling cycle to get a good reading on the tank if its still low then it may have a leak or burning coolant.

It seems stable now. I did jack the left front up and ran it with the cap off and some air did come out. I squeezed the radiator hose a little. I didn't have spill proof funnel in there so didn't want to make too much of a mess. And I topped it off at the cap.

Archived