LegacyGT.com

2013 2.5 Legacy side mirror replacement

Hello there.

I am seeking some advice on replacing my side view mirror (passenger side). While reversing my dear wife hit a "giant electrical post" with the mirror. I still do not get how she did not see it, as she claims it was giant...

Now, the glass broke, as well as the side trim. The rest of the mirror, which includes the base and the inner works (motor that tilts/moves it) are fine and in working condition. I do not know if the weather thing ever worked (It's a second hand car), and it is not a priority. Thus, I'm trying to replace only the broken components.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to find only the components I seek, or will I end up getting the whole unit?

2. Can any one provide me with a set of instructions/manual for a me to do the replacement?

3. Anything else I should consider/ any info or pics that are needed for further advice?

Thank you kindly.

On an updated note - I've been searching around for the part. Found two possibles - one from PartsGeek (Action Crash brand) and another from1AAuto (brand? but lifetime warranty) - the one from Parts geek (w/o warranty) comes to about $75 with shipping while the 1AAuto for $85 w lifetime warranty... Neither of these are original subaru brand, but I just wonder whether anyone has experience with these folks.

So the glass is available separately (p/n 91039AJ02A (MSRP 23.36) for heated and p/n 91039AJ00B (MSRP $15.56) for not heated)

For the trim, which part is broken? the painted part on the outside of the mirror, the piece under that, or the part that contains the motor and is attached to the base that's attached to the car? The small trim pieces are available separately, but the main body is not.

If a new part is too expensive, there are many used one on ebay.

Thank you all. I will check with my local Subaru dealer to see if they have the parts (and how much they'll charge for all vs parts) and take it from there.

I really don't want something that wont match in color/texture...

I'm in the NYC area, so I got a few Subaru options, will update on what I find.

Thank you all. I will check with my local Subaru dealer to see if they have the parts (and how much they'll charge for all vs parts) and take it from there.

I really don't want something that wont match in color/texture...

I'm in the NYC area, so I got a few Subaru options, will update on what I find.

I have both the Left and Right USDM heated mirror assemblies removed off the car in mint condition, ready for pickup in NYC. The covers are GGM and the assemblies are the non-foldable 2010 units but the mirror glass, mirror arm, etc are in perfect shape.

PM me if interested.

Quick update - my nearest Subaru dealer quoted me $450 for a new mirror. The person that quoted me, very gentlemanly, suggested that I look on ebay, internet, and do it myself. I gotta say I did not expect that honesty from a person working on a dealership.

Perscitus - I'll PM you about the mirrors... Still deciding whether to buy parts or buy a whole unit. I am gonna try to post a few pics here (it is hard as I do not use the car, my wife does, and when I come home in the afternoon it is already dark!).

Also - if I buy the parts, from the subaru site MRLancaster kindly posted, does it come with instructions on how to open and put together the mirror it self?

Thank you all.

Has anyone confirmed that the glass and painted cap on the mirrors are the same for 2010 as 2011-2014? Since the 2010s weren't folding, Subaru sold a folding conversion kit that included new housings, I believe you just had to swap the glass and painted cap. The kit is relatively cheap (~$150). May be the most economical way to go, then sell the extra mirror to someone else.

Kit with heated mirror Part Number: SOA635086

Kit without heated mirror Part Number: SOA635085

Scooby mods has a write up on installation and includes scans of the instructions.

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/foldable-side-mirror-kit-retrofit-12966.html?

Might be worth checking out.

Has anyone confirmed that the glass and painted cap on the mirrors are the same for 2010 as 2011-2014? Since the 2010s weren't folding, Subaru sold a folding conversion kit that included new housings, I believe you just had to swap the glass and painted cap. The kit is relatively cheap (~$150). May be the most economical way to go, then sell the extra mirror to someone else.

I have a 2010 GT with the 2011+ folding mirror housings. I was able to re-use my painted caps and mirror.

Hello there.

I am seeking some advice on replacing my side view mirror (passenger side). While reversing my dear wife hit a "giant electrical post" with the mirror. I still do not get how she did not see it, as she claims it was giant...

Now, the glass broke, as well as the side trim. The rest of the mirror, which includes the base and the inner works (motor that tilts/moves it) are fine and in working condition. I do not know if the weather thing ever worked (It's a second hand car), and it is not a priority. Thus, I'm trying to replace only the broken components.

My questions are:

1. Is there a way to find only the components I seek, or will I end up getting the whole unit?

2. Can any one provide me with a set of instructions/manual for a me to do the replacement?

3. Anything else I should consider/ any info or pics that are needed for further advice?

Thank you kindly.

On an updated note - I've been searching around for the part. Found two possibles - one from PartsGeek (Action Crash brand) and another from1AAuto (brand? but lifetime warranty) - the one from Parts geek (w/o warranty) comes to about $75 with shipping while the 1AAuto for $85 w lifetime warranty... Neither of these are original subaru brand, but I just wonder whether anyone has experience with these folks.

Hi Edom.

I'm new here as well but I lurk like crazy, the whole reason I found this site was because I had done the same thing to my car.

Put it this way was on a very tight street and yeah my mirror kissed someone else's parked car mirror. Needless to say the thing was wobbly as sh!t after that.

So I came here found instructions and obtained the part. The big part of doing it yourself is seeing if you have damaged your painted cover I think it's called the mirror 'cap' don't quote me on it. If you did then you'll need to get it painted or touched up when you get the new one.

With mine, I broke the interior arm on it and stripped the screws that hold the mirror arm to the car.

I went to the Subaru dealer by me where I bought my car and they have a parts depatrtment, told them exactly what I needed, they had it next day.

Took me all of 20-30 minutes (wasn't in a race) to get er done. You do have to take off door inside panel but only to discounted the heating electrical wire. Other than that popping a few screws off and putting them back and finagling the mirror back in.

Really simple process. I'm in the NY-LI area and if you are too you could use the same place I used to get my part .. And you can DM me if you have any questions.

Believe me I researched the crap out of it before I pulled the trigger and did it myself.

• 5 months later...

I just want to close this thread by saying:

1. thanks to all users who posted and advised.

2. update that I finally replaced the mirror. I bought one from parts geeks ($70 or so with shipping).

3. I got the instructions to take off the door panel from this thread http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/find-replace-entire-side-view-mirror-unit-244938.html?t=244938&highlight=mirror+replace+side

• 1 year later...
Hello there.

My questions are:

Thank you kindly.

I did replace them on my driver side but basically it is the same and straight forward.

1. Getting the whole unit is better, especially if you have the base package of the car. It is cheaper and easier.

2. I will after this :lol::lol:

3. Try to find them in the junkyard; some of them have side view mirror still intact vs buying it in the dealership. You will save some money. And avoid to buy off ebay. I bought it (non OE) and it was knock off. On the highway speed, the mirror would slightly vibrates, while oem subarus does not vibrate at any speeds at all.

Instructions / Manual / Whatever you call it:

1. Go into your car, I suggest to find a large space because it is easier for you to work.

2. When you open the door, there is a cover near the A-pillar (located at the door). I would suggest you to open them using plastic pry tool.

3. After opening the cover, open the door panel (as it is the most important part) so it will look like this (driver side as illustration).

http://imgur.com/a/tobjp

4. Disconnect the harness from of the side view mirror.

5. Now all of the cables and bolts are exposed. You have to hold the side view mirror assembly prior to removing them (or it will fall apart after you remove the nuts).

6. Remove all of the side view mirror assembly.

7. Profit :lol:

Now, to install the side view mirror please redo the steps backwards.

Archived