LegacyGT.com

draining 5MT when not level?

mattcrout

So I am planning on changing my 5MT gear oil. But in order to have enough room under the car, I figured I would use my ramps. How much oil gets left in the transmission if you are not level? Is it a huge amount? My '97 legacy is pushing 205, and I'm not sure when the last time the transmission oil was replaced. It has been at least 60,000+ miles. How important is it for the car to be level?

Filling level is super important. It'll drain but not completely. Two options:

Ramps to loosen plug, then roll off and jack up a little to drop the plug and drain.

Ramps to drain and use a jack on the rear diff to level the car.

Why can't you just jack up one side to reach the plug and then drop it to drain?

I don't have a nice floor jack, so I use the one in the trunk. driving up the ramps is a lot easier, there is more room to scoot under, and I believe safer. I guess that's not a bad idea to just jack up the side enough to get under, then lower it while draining, and then raise to put plug back in. It's just a lot of cranking up and down.

No no no no no no no no!

That jack in the trunk is only for changing tires in an emergency. And do not get under there unless you have jack stands no matter what jack you use.

You really should invest in a decent hydraulic jack - nothing super expensive, some stands, and a creeper.

No no no no no no no no!

That jack in the trunk is only for changing tires in an emergency. And do not get under there unless you have jack stands no matter what jack you use.

You really should invest in a decent hydraulic jack - nothing super expensive, some stands, and a creeper.

Yes don't worry, I've always put jack stands under the car, I agree I don't trust going under with the small jack either, which is why I bought the jack stands, and more recently the ramps. I appreciate your concern though!

Sears has a nice 3 ton jack and stands on sale for $99. that's the same price I paid for them back about 12 years ago.

Harbor Fright also has nice stuff. I have 2 of there Al race jacks and a hand full or two of jack stands.

You need to jack up the rear of the car to drain the 5mt's. I think about a qt stay's in if you don't.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived