LegacyGT.com

Oil Cooler gasket fiasco - what happened here?

So I had been seeing the typical drop of oil collecting at the bottom of my oil filter that usually means the oil cooler gasket needs to be replaced so I decided to finally get that done. Pretty simple job right? Drain oil. Drain coolant. Remove oil cooler. Swap gasket. Reinstall. Fill oil. Fill coolant. Then I started up the car to go through the burping process. Meanwhile, under the car...I found that oil was leaking like a faucet:spin:

I couldn't understand how that was even possible :confused:. So I drained the oil and coolant again to see wtf. I loosen the oil cooler center bolt half a turn and I see part of the gasket fall out. Well...that's not good. Got the oil cooler out again but I just can't figure out how this happened. Only thing I can think of is over-torquing but the center bolt came loose with very little effort so it certainly didn't feel like I torqued it too much. Still doesn't make sense how a chunk of the gasket could get ripped away. Taking a closer look at the new gasket, it has a different look and feel than the original and seems like it's even thinner. It has smooth edges whereas the original has fairly square edges and the original just seems less flimsy/more sturdy. I got if from the dealership and seems to be the right part number. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble with a new gasket? Did I get a defective one? Or did I just do something wrong?

IMG_2418.thumb.jpg.47f2f66ebf333c694e4071aaa364cd91.jpg

IMG_2419.thumb.jpg.3f789c0f124908607d2d7ad59cad2321.jpg

IMG_2423.thumb.jpg.b890bc48e8c9ef11de0e3f9172363823.jpg

IMG_2426.thumb.jpg.2a7300bc93788e00920dcc288944c9bf.jpg

IMG_2425.thumb.jpg.00af14098226294bab27290755506c5b.jpg

IMG_2427.thumb.jpg.4256da5ba9be6d7484230fca16b7fefc.jpg

I wonder if you didn't just pinch an edge of it. I just changed mine a couple weeks ago and had to check that the gasket hadn't popped out of the groove several times.

PS: I just unbolt the tube from the front of the crankcase so the coolant hoses are more free to move. No need to drain the cooling system then.

Thanks for your responses. As much as I'd like to believe it was the parts guy's fault, I inspected the package and couldn't see any sign of a slit or cut from a blade that would have nicked the gasket. I guess the pinch theory is probably the most likely explanation, even though it still seems weird the gasket would just split in 2 places like that. I picked up a new gasket today and reinstalled the oil cooler. Filter seems dry as a bone now....so far anyway. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

IMG_2428.JPG.c7fbb629da102c35cd71ed24c1ea6377.JPG

Archived