LegacyGT.com

Clear bra removal, who has done it? Advice/tips please

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What year is your BigBlack D? Mileage sometimes has nothing to do with how paint ages. I really dislike black and red cars because of how they age.

its in my damn signature noob, but if on tapacrap and you cant see its a 2009. I also dislike black cars and things but i didnt really have much of a choice.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

No its not in your signature!

And that bra has been on since around 2009??? :spin:

And no choice in buying a big black-D???

image.png?w=400&c=1

I just got the car 4 months ago and never liked clear bra's. I meant avatar not signature...

Title: Flying W00t Monkey Rank: Donating Member Location: Ellington, CT Car: 2009 CTS-V & 2003 Legacy Outback Posts: 6,475 iTrader: (9)

yea its not a car you come across everyday in manual with the miles so I couldnt pass it up. Most of the CTS-V's are black also

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

How do you like it compared to your Legacy GT?

I cant really compare the two cars. I can say though that the caddy is MUCH more comfortable and more luxurious than the LGT. Granted cost new is much more but those options do not cost that much.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I just got the car 4 months ago and never liked clear bra's. I meant avatar not signature...

Title: Flying W00t Monkey Rank: Donating Member Location: Ellington, CT Car: 2009 CTS-V & 2003 Legacy Outback Posts: 6,475 iTrader: (9)

yea its not a car you come across everyday in manual with the miles so I couldnt pass it up. Most of the CTS-V's are black also

Nope nothing here chief. May wat to get back your donating money! :hide:

1365477150_ScreenShot2015-12-28at2_40_04PM.png.304ed0b2e5bad94bae979936f6ecac1f.png

---

yea i would probably never put a clear bra on a car again after this but it did need to come off ...

Clear bra's have come a long way since 2009, for example we released in 2011 the first self-healing clear bra, so you dont see scratches, swirl marks etc. So on a black car, its beautiful because you wont have to polish it anymore (and no swirl marks :spin:). Since '11 other companies have done something similar with their clear bra's to make them self-healing. As far as removal of the new ones, certain companies warranty them for x amount of years covering defects such as yellowing, cracking, delaminating etc. That being said, it makes it much easier to remove the newer age clear bra's in the similar fashion i posted on the 1st page.

Clear bra's have come a long way since 2009, for example we released in 2011 the first self-healing clear bra, so you dont see scratches, swirl marks etc. So on a black car, its beautiful because you wont have to polish it anymore (and no swirl marks :spin:). Since '11 other companies have done something similar with their clear bra's to make them self-healing. As far as removal of the new ones, certain companies warranty them for x amount of years covering defects such as yellowing, cracking, delaminating etc. That being said, it makes it much easier to remove the newer age clear bra's in the similar fashion i posted on the 1st page.

Yea I am torn on getting it redone to the car. My brother got it done by a place and it cost him around $1200 and yes I have heard the new ones are self healing. The problem is I am very anal about my cars and I want them to look perfect. The clear bra lines really bother me and the fact that when they come off its hell. I am sure they have come a long way but as of right now since the car will prob only get 6-7k max miles per year I am not sure if its worth it.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Plus it's a 2009. Don't do it. Just maintain your paint, and if you get scratches, then it is just part of life. Also don't jizz on it again. :hide:

I would rather you get it wrapped for more money if the paint really bothers you, but if you ever decide to take off the wrap you'll see scratches from installation.

---

$1200 sounds way high.

It's the going rate at most places for clear bra dumper, hood, fenders, side mirrors and in front of the rear wheels if i wanted it redone like it was. Not really worth it IMO but it does save the car from rock chips and such.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

YOu can probably get your hood repainted for $600

excactly why I do not think I am going to wrap the car again. The bumper is still wrapped with the clear bra and that is what takes the most beating from road debris. Also the car color is raven black which is not one of those PITA 3 stage paints to try and match.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Omfg laz is right!! Just spent about an hour with the 3m and wd40 along with the plastic razor blade on one area of the hood. It works but it's a slow process but the good news is under the glue the paint is AMAZING!!

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/Jay04WRX/EE476A18-02FA-4CB8-8059-2401C8FE3A37_zpsvsnqdcsz.jpg

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

So far trying to remove the adhesive from the clear bra from my car I have used goo gone, 3M adhesive remover, WD-40 and tarminator bug and tar. The Tarminator has been the best product to use and work with. I was able to get 3/4 on the adhesive off the hood last night. Thanks to BMB for suggesting the Tarminator !
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Ok guys so ALL of the adhesive is now off the car and I will share my story and tips. I used goo gone, wd40 (worked well), 3M adhesive remover and the best overall was the Stoner Tarminator bug and tar remover. That along with the titan plastic razor blade (which you need to be careful with because it does leave marks if not careful) taking the plastic off took about 4 hours but taking off the adhesive took a couple days and a total of about another 4 hours. I sprayed the Tarminator on and let it soak in for about 5-10 minutes and then took the plastic razor blade to the thicker area's to get up the heavy stuff. After the heavy stuff was up I sprayed again and again and used cheap amazon microfiber cloths in a circular motion until the adhesive was gone.

The paint under the bra is SOOO nice and after paint restoration I will post pics.

768827232_cleanside.thumb.jpg.16f67821c0e6875c98cf1b8a86e69f54.jpg

79739910_frontendclean.thumb.jpg.96c8a682e3cb9e6fdfd83722831adf22.jpg

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Archived