LegacyGT.com

Clear bra removal, who has done it? Advice/tips please

So my new car came with a clear bra which I am not a fan of. It is 6 years old and I have no clue the brand but I know the original owner had it installed. It is not peeling or cracking but its hazy and has sections with scratches. The hood is done in two pieces, fenders, bumper, headlights, side mirrors and in front of the rear wheels.

I did some reading and watched some youtube clips and most use a steamer or a heat gun. I am not going to buy a steamer and a guy i know (who is a painter) said to either use a spray bottle with dish soap and water OR a heat gun and pull back slowly.

Has anyone done this? Do you have any tips or advice on the removal?

Jay

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

:lol:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So my new car came with a clear bra which I am not a fan of. It is 6 years old and I have no clue the brand but I know the original owner had it installed. It is not peeling or cracking but its hazy and has sections with scratches. The hood is done in two pieces, fenders, bumper, headlights, side mirrors and in front of the rear wheels.

I did some reading and watched some youtube clips and most use a steamer or a heat gun. I am not going to buy a steamer and a guy i know (who is a painter) said to either use a spray bottle with dish soap and water OR a heat gun and pull back slowly.

Has anyone done this? Do you have any tips or advice on the removal?

Jay

As far as removal goes, we usually recommend a steamer or heat gun, and to pull the film is this manner:

1198071823_RemoveGraphic.png.020f60e5b261086cd88263a3c2d21680.png

Here is one of our independent installers that shows you how to remove the film effectively.

As far as removal goes, we usually recommend a steamer or heat gun, and to pull the film is this manner:

[ATTACH]221035[/ATTACH]

Here is one of our independent installers that shows you how to remove the film effectively.

i watched that guys video once and I will watch it again. I also bought a 30$ steamer from amazon which has pretty good reviews. thanks

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

I would say you should go with a steamer. It will have more use inside your house than a one time use heatgun.

I pulled the matte black vinyl off my Prius with a steamer. It was easy peasy.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I removed the clear bra from my car that the original owner put on about 6 years ago. The hood, fenders and bumper had perm bug marks along with marks and scratches that were beyond saving. It took about 4 hours with a small steamer and everything came off without much glue besides part of the fenders and hood. This is probably due to the hood being in the direct sun light or the heat from the motor.

I have done a good amount of reading and I have read everything from people using gasoline http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/images/smilies/lol.gifto rubbing alcohol, goo gone, goof off, terminator bug and tar but the most commonly talked about item was WD-40. I am very leary about using that on my paint but even talking to a auto body guy for 10 years said the same thing.

What are your suggestions and or experience?

I purchased a this on amazon as its on autogeek however I have read several things about people using WD-40 without any issues and that it IS safe for paint.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-38983-General-Purpose-Adhesive/dp/B004EBNTYK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1451314949&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+adhesive+remover]Amazon.com: 3M 38983 General Purpose Adhesive Remover - 12 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

you ask a reputable body shop how much they would charge to remove it? You may be able to get it done for much cheaper than you think....

I have not but its worth a phone call.

pics attached

628629947_hoodglue.thumb.jpg.be5a2f4abb9d0b836cd04cc36ec92f4d.jpg

524197511_hoodontop.thumb.jpg.7801f1698b5b71b6d80e95c508478390.jpg

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

It is JUST the hood and tops of the fenders and the rest came off with no problems. I ordered the 3M stuff and will try that first to see what happens. A local body shop said $75 an hour and they have no clue how long it would take without seeing it. I do not want to really drive the car as anything outside will just stick to the adhesive causing it to potentially scuff or scratch when the adhesive is being removed. The shop said the 3M stuff should work well so I will give that a shot first and see what happens I guess.
I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

gotcha. do a small spot and see what happens. I just see that turning into a time consuming nightmare! :lol:

yea well the car is sitting so if i do a little at a time its not a big deal. I will see how it goes. All I gots is time bruh !!

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

if you do end up driving it to a shop, just throw some saran wrap on there and some painters tape to hold it down. Good job on getting that clear bra off. Did you try using a clay bar? That thing pulls up even glue. but it looks like you'll need a lot of clay. :lol:

Taking glue off a car is the worst freaking thing ever! Talk to a shop that does vinyl wraps, it's the same concept. This is why I hate clear bras. You may want to try some lacquer thinner as well. You will probably end up wet sanding and buffing all areas. Black is the worst color to do any type of detailing as everything shows.

I would not clean that glue for any money in the world! :spin:

You have a hard job ahead of you.

And before anyone else says it, stop cummin on your hood! :hide:

---

The 3M pin stripe removal wheel works well in some instances. May be a good tool.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-Stripe-Wheel-Mandrel-Diameter/dp/B00063VT0G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1451326755&sr=8-1&keywords=pin+stripe+remover+adapter]3M Stripe Off Wheel 07498, 3/8" Mandrel, 4" Diameter x 5/8" Width, Beige (Pack of 1): Power Rotary Tool Accessories: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

---

if you do end up driving it to a shop, just throw some saran wrap on there and some painters tape to hold it down. Good job on getting that clear bra off. Did you try using a clay bar? That thing pulls up even glue. but it looks like you'll need a lot of clay. :lol:

car will be clayed before we do the paint restoration but clay isnt really an adhesive remover.

Taking glue off a car is the worst freaking thing ever! Talk to a shop that does vinyl wraps, it's the same concept. This is why I hate clear bras. You may want to try some lacquer thinner as well. You will probably end up wet sanding and buffing all areas. Black is the worst color to do any type of detailing as everything shows.

I would not clean that glue for any money in the world! :spin:

You have a hard job ahead of you.

And before anyone else says it, stop cummin on your hood! :hide:

yea i would probably never put a clear bra on a car again after this but it did need to come off. Right now I am going to attempt to remove the adhesive myself with the 3M product and if that does not work I will try goof off. If by some odd chance both of those do not work I will go with WD-40 as I have read several places.

Should be a fun job thats for sure lol

yea not sure i wana take that wheel with my dremel to my car ...

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

Wimp! It is amazing at how it works! It does not strip paint, just the glue above it. But knowing you, you'll probably f it up! :hide::lol:

I also bet you that you will have a different shade of black between the clear bra p arts and the other parts after the car is detailed.

---

Wimp! It is amazing at how it works! It does not strip paint, just the glue above it. But knowing you, you'll probably f it up! :hide::lol:

I also bet you that you will have a different shade of black between the clear bra p arts and the other parts after the car is detailed.

The car only has 18k miles on it and does not sit outside much so after the detail I doubt the colors will differ. Also the whole hood, fenders were done in the clear bra so after paint restoration it should look better than new.

I was 0.

And I'm still a zero.

The car only has 18k miles on it and does not sit outside much so after the detail I doubt the colors will differ. Also the whole hood, fenders were done in the clear bra so after paint restoration it should look better than new.

Just dont jizz on it again. mmkay.

---

Archived