LegacyGT.com

Need need a new engine or or engine rebuild need help finding one.

Options, in increasing order of my half-assed guesstimates of cost:

- Put in a junkyard engine. $2k for engine (yes, $2k!)

- Put in a new shortblock, machine heads. $4600. (That's what mine wound up at)

- Put in a reman longblock, $4k

- Put in a new longblock, $8k

- Have a local garage do any of the above, +$1k.

- Have the dealer do the "NEW" options above, +$2k.

- Trade the car. $8k (My estimate based upon the value of a good '08 versus a dead-engine car which would likely get you only a grand or so on it)

Your question is:

How much is my stress worth? I love working on cars - I have a 3-bay climate controlled auto workshop, I rebuild cars. I just finished a frame-up resto on a Bronco, and I'l getting started on a '74 MG BGT... BUT... The stress of investin almost $5k on my daily driver, knowing that if it didn't work out I'd lose the car AND the $5k... That was more than I should have taken on given that my alternate transport was a motorcycle and a newly-restored bronco with teething problems. Those, plus borrowing my wife's car on occasion were the only things that got me through it. In my case the car was off the road for 6 months. The work only took me about a couple of weeks of 2-3 hours every other night, but after putting it all back together and finding the oil leak I just threw a blanket over it and stormed off in a huff, hiding form it for 5 months until forced to deal with it by the impending winter. I dunno how old you are or what responsibilities you have to family etc, but I'm 41, have a kid and a wife and this was enough stress that I'd likely not take on the same job again unless I had a known good alternate car for the duration.

Now we're past that little but of surprise oversharing... Define "decent price"? I paid $4600 and now have a brand new engine. It was a total of about 28 hours of work - 20 for the swap and 8 to fix the oil leak.

Archived