LegacyGT.com

Running really rich, cannot figure out why

Just read the whole thread,you can still have leaking/sticking/intermittently stuck injectors without really showing up on your plugs. Coyle be running rich enough to show rich but still getting burned off.Also,remember that the only thing that measures lean/rich are the 02 sensors,maybe they're lying even when new. Are you blowing black smoke when you run rich? How does the car actually feel?

Zack K.

I haven't been able to see any black smoke, but my white bumper has noticeable dirty black marks around the exhaust. So it looks very rich. FYI, I do have a catted downpipe. The car feels pretty normal cruising around town. But it sounds noticeably loaded up when I get on the throttle, and down on power. Slight hesitation/ bucking, but pretty minor.

I did run some injector cleaner through a month ago, but I could run a couple more bottles through. How would I know if my injectors were sticking?

I installed the new o2 sensor about 80 miles ago, and my learning parameters are at:

A: -13.0

B: 0.7

C: -9.8

D: 0.0

You really can't tell about the injectors until you swap with a different/better set. At 10 years old they're definitely suspect. You can run all the cleaner till the cows come home,but if they're mechanically bad there's not much to do except to take them off and get them cleaned/test/flowed them just to check. Or swap with a new/better set. Usually they'll stick near WOT/when boosting

Remote possibility: Damaged/corroded 02 harness from O2 plug to ecu itself

Zack K.

Really odd for A and C to be so negative while B and D are near zero.

Have you checked TGV function?

Sent from a device using some software.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I'm having a similar issues (system holds pressure, car runs great), that's why I've sub'd to the thread. My A and D are very high, while B and C are near 0.

No I have not checked the function yet. How would I go about doing that? I'll talk a look the connectors and see if they are damaged at all.

If the FPR is somehow stuck,you would run rich all across the board. Usually when they go bad uyou run lean because it won't hold the pressure,but it is a possibility. Do you have a way to measure it? Should be around 41psi around idle and rise 1psi for every 1psi of boost.

If you checked every physical (leaks) and electric (sensors,leaking injectors??) parameters,then a tune is suspect.

Zack K.

I checked the psi prior to my tune a year ago, and that was all good. But I don't have the equipment at my place to do it again.

No I have not checked the function yet. How would I go about doing that? I'll talk a look the connectors and see if they are damaged at all.

Log the position and see that it opens when ECT comes up and stays open, on both sides.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for going for missing for a bit. I was out of town and didn't have time to work on the car. So a few things have happened since I last posted. I threw a faulty rear O2 sensor code (Can't remember what it was off of the top of my head) a little bit ago. I replaced the sensor last friday which cleared the code, but the car is still running poorly. Gas mileage is around 19mpg putting around backroads with occasional highway.

I did a log to check the TGV function and everything seems to be working correctly, but i'm not really sure what I should be seeing. Here's a link to the log.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4Fz3gVEgWFcdnBncEN2dkJSc1U/view?usp=sharing

Both sides are starting off at 4.3v and then jump to .4v once the cars warms up a bit, or I blip the throttle. Does everything appear to be functioning correctly?

TGV function looks okay to me.

Just for sanity's sake, I'd put the stock intake on and load a suitable map for that setup. Cobb has an OTS map for stock intake and aftermarket downpipe. Load that up and see if anything changes.

• 10 months later...

Archived