LegacyGT.com

2.5 N/A Head Gasket Replacement

Hi guys i bought a 08 Legacy 2.5i SE for 1k 10200 miles with a blown motor replaced the motor last year prob should of did the head gasket while i had the motor out.

My question is what head gasket should i get. Subaru, Six Star, aftermarket like Felpro MLS or other?

Also should i machine the heads? The replacement motor had about the same mileage and doesn't seem to be over heated ever.

It has a small oil sweating leak on the passenger bank and the driver side has a very small coolant leak also a sweating abit of oil. It doesn't seem to be mixing coolant internally with the oil yet.

Should i even bother replacing it?

Man I have a 08, and had that same damn leak. Go to Subaru and get the MLS gaskets. They are the new multilayer steal gaskets with lips on them. Now I always get different answers from people about getting the head machined. I was going to but that wanted me to take the head apart and take the cams out and so on. I told my buddy and we have worked on my 04 STi and many other cars. I cleaned the heads by hand, and since my motor never over heated while I drove it with that leak for a year, we put the heads and new gaskets on.

You do not need new head studs unless they have stretched badly. Now you miles are about the same mine were when I pulled my motor, so you should be fine. You do not have to pull the motor to change the head gaskets FYI. I did it because we were bored and had a month to do it. I also changed the water pump, thermostat and many other things all with OEM Subaru parts.

If you have the time and money, go all Subaru OEM and replace the gaskets. If not drive it like I did for a year or more. Just make sure you check the oil and coolant every week. I was burning coolant but it was never mixed with oil.

When i got the motor it had like cv shaft grease on the back of the left head, that was the sign of head gasket leaking already. Should of know better.

I driven prob 8k with this leak and only had to add less than half a liter of coolant into the jar and and not doing through any oil. Also i have put like 2 bottles of that Subaru conditioner when i did the motor last year.

Archived