LegacyGT.com

sanchitosonria's 07 spec.b

• 4 months later...

So I finally got around to installing the Group N engine mounts. Driver side was mega easy compared to the passenger side. I had to dremel off the passenger side nut holding the engine mount to the frame. Not fun.

All in all, little increase in vibration at idle. Not bad but I definitely noticed the difference right away. After a few days driving around though it's actually very minute.

Shifting has smoothed out and engagement is a lot smoother as well. The stutter I felt around 2200RPM-2400RPM seems to have vanished as well. I haven't really noticed any difference in handling as some have reported but I also haven't really had the chance to explore the mountains. :)

I definitely think that as a standalone mod for the price/effort, it's ok. When coupled with the Group N transmission mount and assorted bushing upgrades in the drive train(Crossmember bushings, rear diff bushings, front shifter bushings), it delivers a complete package that has a lot of benefit.

My pitch stop is still stock and I think I will keep it that way for now.

Next up is an AVO Turbo inlet and the intake manifold o-rings...

• 1 month later...

Installed the AVO inlet and the newer Intake Manifold O-Rings last month.

I used the following guides for install:

Inlet install:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/install-avo-turbo-inlet-hose-204330.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/perrin-turbo-inlet-80440.html

O-Ring install:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-rough-idle-cold-start-cold-temps-lgt-07-09-155325.html

Thanks to the contributors of the above threads!

All in all it took me only one additional trip to the auto store for some vacuum hose and too many hours of my time. A pick set is a must for the o-rings. Don't even try it without one.

I didn't take a lot of pics during the install has this was a very involved process. I did have to trim about 1.3" from the inlet and in hindsight probably should have trimmed a little more. I choose to leave a little extra for that day I swap in a VF52 and will trim then. :)

Fitment was good with the AVO inlet beyond me leaving an extra 0.25-0.5" of length on there. Turbo spool up sounds are definitely more noticeable. Maybe spools up a few hundred RPMs quicker but I didn't replace it as performance improvement. More of a maintenance item as I near 100k.

I did initially have a vacuum leak(shocker) which after tightening down all the bolts on the manifold went away. I was a little too cautious when threading them back in as I had two of them give me some grief.

Thanks!

20161111_083711.thumb.jpg.c285159a82f213477ce13eb16272f6d0.jpg

• 7 months later...

Been pretty quiet on the forums due to work and family but now it's time to do something fun!

Started putting together suspension goodies. Here's what's on the docket:

Bilstein B6 w/JDM Pinks and new top hats all around(ST2038021010, ST2033021010)

Whiteline KTA124 Rear Control Arm Assembly

Whiteline KCA313 Roll Center Kit

Whiteline W63394 Control Arm Bushing

Whiteline W63396 Rear Control Arm Bushing

Whiteline W63397 Rear Control Arm Bushing

Whiteline W63398 Rear Trailing Arm Bushing

Hopefully I can get this all together in the next 2 months and have it installed before winter. Suspension is fine currently but at 100k I feel it needs to be refreshed.

• 4 weeks later...

Got some goodies in the mail! Have to say the shipping from japanparts.com was super quick! Springs came from Japan to my doorstep in 16 days. Was able to snag the bushings from another forum member for a fair price.

Still need to order a few other items... Can't wait to get it all installed!

20170901_190556_resized.thumb.jpg.ad50bf938580ef8be30fa656552b0bf4.jpg

2 x 20370AG00A rear top hats

2 x 20375AE00A rear spring seats

2 x 20320AG01A front top hats

2 x 20323AG00B front spring seats

Got these ordered from the dealer today. Had a 10% discount which was nice.

Still need to order the shocks and the KCA313. Will likely have to wait until next paycheck though. Had to do some work on the family van unexpectedly and our microwave broke tonight.

So I did the thing.

Day 1 - Took Friday off to start. Overall the front ball joints were fairly rusted in there but came out eventually. I had been PB Blastering everything for the last 2 weeks prior to install. Was able to finish the fronts and start the left rear on day 1. So felt really good about everything. :cool:

Day 2 - Trailing arm bushings(W63398) weren't too bad. Did the rear lower control arm outer bushing(W63394) bushings as well. Got the left rear mostly done and started on the rear right. That's when I discovered how badly the camber bolt was rusted. It was completely frozen in the metal bushing housing. :mad: My impact gun eventually broke the rubber around the bushing and now it spun freely. :spin: So time to cut the arm off... I was replacing it anyways so what the hell. I generally like to keep the stock parts but whatever. Took me longer than I would have liked but by 3:30PM on Saturday it was out. Realized I needed the replacement bolts, headed down to Subaru and the parts section closed at 3. I am stuck until Monday morning. :icon_frow

Day 3 - Did some clean up. Looked at the upper control arm bushings(W63396 and W63397) and decided to wait on those. Very sore and tired and was a little worried my jaw puller would damage them since the edges were thinner than on the trailing arm. Asked around town and was told Parts Connect was a good place to take them to have them pressed. Totally ok with waiting on these.

Day 4 - Got 2 sets of the camber bolts at Subaru first thing in the morning. Installed the rear arms and put the exhaust back together and drove off to get an alignment.

Overall impressions - Wow! After 104k miles on the stock Bilsteins, this is amazing! So much smoother and responsive. Very even stance with a 2 finger gap all around. Little stiffer hitting bumps but not so much as to cause any uncomfortableness. Car is very planted now and with all the other handling goodies I have installed, really delivers a total package.

20171002_123852.thumb.jpg.b480b8f9e9169e527cf3c6798af1cf97.jpg

20171001_115923.thumb.jpg.54b8a9fa4ea79a2e033c83ac06205166.jpg

20170929_130325.thumb.jpg.e904ea20c7796b87e0ba135a9889f7f4.jpg

20170929_155229.thumb.jpg.7ad71eedbb10ad801fe392433945fa61.jpg

20171004_180545.thumb.jpg.af2082e7d769e315a3a047c90844bb9a.jpg

20171004_180602.thumb.jpg.2154cd16a257238932d38c3deead7a13.jpg

Nice work man looks great. I guess you swapped ball joint troubles for problems with the rear arm but as long as the outcome is positive then hey. I had one ball joint come out easy when I installed my RCK and the other, well you can guess. How are you liking the whiteline adjustable arms? Those will be my next mod along with spec b aluminum arms.

Yeah, I knew after 10 years of being in there I was going to have at least one rust issue somewhere...

Not really sure how much the arms added beyond the ability to adjust camber and toe easier. They are beefier than the stock ones for sure. It was more of since I was in there replacing stuff, might as well save a little more and get it all done at once.

Is it hitting the front or rear bump stops?

I did the bumpstop mod up front and as far as I am aware I have not hit either the front or the rears yet. I had 4 people in the car yesterday and no one noticed any harshness.

Might change once they settle fully though...

• 2 months later...

Been a couple of months now and the new suspension has settled nicely. A lot of the initial harshness from bumps is gone now. Initially it was a little shocking and had me wondering if the setup was too stiff. I would say it took about 1500 miles or so to really get past that initial firmness.

The ride is fantastic. Responds very well to quick input and is very stable. Wife approves as well.

With winter here, not too many mods on the docket. Just maintenance and empty snow covered parking lots whenever we get some snow...

Maybe Santa will hook me up with something like a new grille...

Thanks! It came on my car when I bought it. If I was to buy a new one, I'd go Grimmspeed or Cobb. The GS is more expensive though, both are high quality IMHO. No complaints on the Cobb other than the 2.5" taper requires the GS coupler for 3" CBE.

If you're in the market for a DP, look for a used one. I helped my buddy get a GS one today for $400 on the local classifieds. Deals can be had if you're looking. I've heard good things about Invidia DPs too and those aren't as expensive.

Archived