LegacyGT.com

Problems listed at NHTSA

jt51

I have noticed that the complaints on the Legacy, though small in number, have increased at the NHTSA

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

6—stutter/surge-----now 7---- 11/12/05

2—stinky clutch

2—crappy tires

7—other

Interestingly, this site is mentioned in one of the complaints, I am surprised more of us with the hesitation/stuttering problems have not listed a complaint.

• 4 months later...

Let me get the hook out of my mouth...

I didn't get hit by a stone, the windshield cracked starting from the passenger side low corner where it would be almost impossible to get hit unless it had a lot of arc and there is no chip from a stone on the windshield. Lots of other people posted about the same problem if I recall correctly, it just seems like the OEM windshield cracks really easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Jon, you are joking, right?

Hestitation and stuttering are not a safety defect?

When I first noticed it, I was trying to pass someone at highway speeds and had to slow down and not pass, and that's not a safety issue?

I wasn't kidding. Submitting "my car runs like crap" complaints to NHTSA wastes everyone's time. Last time I checked, NHTSA had no FMVSS regulation requiring a minimum rate of acceleration. Do you seriously believe that NHTSA has a standard addressing how much time it should take to pass a slower vehicle?

']I wasn't kidding. Submitting "my car runs like crap" complaints to NHTSA wastes everyone's time. Last time I checked' date=' NHTSA had no FMVSS regulation requiring a minimum rate of acceleration. Do you seriously believe that NHTSA has a standard addressing how much time it should take to pass a slower vehicle?[/quote']

Would you consider a car that intermittently stopped running by design a safety problem? It's all about where you want to draw the line. A car that behaves wildly unexpectedly is a safety problem.

So, Jon, everyone that has posted their problem, of stuttering, studdering, surge and "runs like crap" at this site is a waste of time? Because, if we post it at this site as a serious warranty problem, then it should be posted at NHTSA as such.

This is not an issue of how much time it takes to pass a slower car, it is an issue of how much time it is expected to take, and all of a sudden, you run into an "unexpected intermittent acceleration" issue, that is created by a design flaw.

That, with all due respect, is a safety issue.

This is not an issue of how much time it takes to pass a slower car, it is an issue of how much time it is expected to take, and all of a sudden, you run into an "unexpected intermittent acceleration" issue, that is created by a design flaw.

That, with all due respect, is a safety issue.

Exactly!

I had a few scary incidents with particularly bad stuttering where I definitely did not have my normal, expected power. When the car doesn't go like you expect it to, and there is approaching traffic, it is a safety issue.

(Fortunately, my stuttering is gone after they fixed my stalling issue.)

Hmmm... the stuttering is a well documented issue here, but if I personally felt it was a safety issue compromising the welfare of my family - I wouldn't be wasting my time issuing a complaint with the NHTSA. I would have returned or traded in the car by now if I really thought it was a major saftey concern.
My VB Garage... Pumping the air back into despair

With some of these supposed "safety" issues. I'm surprised people aren't complaining that the lack of an auto up window or no HID's are saftey issues. I'm sorry, but having a smelly clutch is not a saftey concern. Nor are the stock tires.

stuttering isnt really a safety issue since the car does not lose all power or even drop in acceleration. I have had a 2005 WRX and LGT and both had it but it was more annoying than anything. It would still allow the car to accelerate, just not as smooth as say an LL BEAN outback.

Subaru tells us that the stuttering is done on purpose and is built into the computers. my accessport changed the programming and that was eliminated but that stuttering is on pupose. We figure for emissions or something, but it isnt really a defect since they program the car to do that.

The fact that Subaru "has programmed" the "stuttering" does not take away from the fact that it is a defect. Why else would Subaru have tried to correct it for the next model year.

No, the car does not lose all power, but it most definitely has a drop in acceleration.

You can make lite of the stinky clutch, burned out headlights, pitiful tires, weak windshields, and stuttering, but these are defects in the manufacture of this automobile. It will be up to the NHTSA to rule which ones have a safety viability or not.

Well I think it is downright RETARDED that Subaru PROGRAMMED the car to do this....

1st car I've ever owned that did this. On purpose no less and to have them release a fix, clearly indicates that this is not what they intended.

Defect. Period.

Archived