LegacyGT.com

Anyone use yellow Lamin-X on their fogs?

BrysImpreza

I have! They look great, and help to protect the glass lense. Which is what they were designed to do, as for them helping increase contrast, well they do ever so slightly. You would stand to benefit more from using an Ion type bulb though.

Sorry I don't have any pics, I can try taking some tomorrow.

I think the dual benefit of protection and utility overrules getting ion yellow bulbs. I went through PIAAs in my FXT and Impreza like water, the M-Tecs lasted longer, but putting some generic $2.99 100 watt bulbs behind the yellow film made a world of difference.

Especially after someone slammed into my FXT, the fog light took a direct hit and came out undamaged, the headlight was in pieces.

Narva Gold or PIAA Ion Crystal - direct fitment bulbs, and very, very "yellow."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Narva Gold or PIAA Ion Crystal - direct fitment bulbs, and very, very "yellow."

Used them all, the PIAAs burned out in under a months time, can't justify spending $50 - $80 on bulbs in fixtures that don't do much of anything. Especially when its just a coating on the bulb. The $20 M-Tecs and $18 Nokyas were just as effective.

I'd just like to see the film instead.

Yikes! :eek: Under a month? :( What the heck happened.... :( That's the shortest span I've heard/read about! :(

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Yikes! :eek: Under a month? :( What the heck happened.... :( That's the shortest span I've heard/read about! :(

No idea man, but I wasn't happy tossing away $120 on yellow bulbs, checked the seals, no moisture, installed the bulbs without touching the glass. The guy at the shop said it wasn't uncommon and most people came back pi$$ing and moaning about the same issue with the PIAAs

Dang, now that really sucked...... :( I would be highly pissed, too, to say the least! :mad:

You're 100% sure that you got genuine PIAA bulbs, right?

Not that I think that they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, or anything of that caliber, but I truly am shocked that you got so little life out of them - and am thus wondering if you perhaps were tricked into knock-offs? :(

I know this is marketing mumbo-jumbo, but I swear I have read the same thing in other places

Through Ion Crystal and Xtra technologies, PIAA bulbs are able to take the power from your headlights and maximize it, thus leading to the amber-white light they shine. PIAA has accomplished this by using special gas mixtures inside the bulbs, upgrading the filament and all conducting materials, and using a special yellow ion crystal within the bulb (versus simply coating the bulb) to achieve a color and shine that doesn’t weaken or fade out

Basically, no coating on the bulb to reduce light output. Didn't know if the Narva Golds are the same, or at least seem to produce the same amount of light...

[Off Topic] I have those Prodrive Valve stem locks by the way. I figure in the near future I am going to want to meet some of the other Ohio folk for some help on an install, so I can bring them to you! [/Off Topic]

Ted

:spin:

Ted,

I think, as with your gut-feeling, that what PIAA claimed there is some marketing mumbo-jumbo.

To the best of my knowledge, currently, all selective-yellow incandescents is accomplished by a "film" or deposit on the surface of the bulb..... I'm not saying that I couldn't be wrong, but from all of the independent hobbyist sites (they, too, could be wrong) that I've read/visited, it seems that in the real-world, at least, it's still done by coating the bulb.

Dunno. :redface:

------

NP on the stems - I'm not opposed to paying you to ship them, either. :) Whatever works for you, bro, is good for me. LMK via PM, please. :)

• 1 year later...

Just used yellow Lamin-x film on my foglamps. I'd have to say it looks nice with the gray exterior color. I'll try and get pics up ASAP.

Just a note, definitely use a hair dryer on the film and lens when forming it around the contour of the foglamp lens.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you mean 20%. The higher the percentage, the less "tinted" it is. The percentage value is how much light is allowed to pass through.

^^^^ its 80% all around. it was kinda cloudy that day and the sunshade was closed to make it look darker.

I hope to make it to the next meet in the northeast or mideast area...so I can see some more of these yellow tinted lamps. :p

Archived