LegacyGT.com

Rough idle and misalignment after hydro planing into a sign

Earlier today I hydroplaned sideways into a street sign. The sign hit right behind the front right wheel and damaged the quarter panel. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/02131e8ad4accb619358102f91debba2.jpg

My steering wheel is like 10 or 15 degrees off center. I think either the rear mount for the lower control arm is bent or the control arm itself is.

I drove the car home and when I turned off the climate control the idle got really slow so I turned the ac back on and it ran okay. I'm not really sure what that could be. It's rainy today so there could be some water damage to whatever wiring runs behind the quarter panel. I was curious what the wiring back there is for. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/2be10711aa28065ecb1b5de32d6647b4.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/09/1372c71f9a0c3c9fa01f0be1098623af.jpg

Buy a new panel or buy one off the used section and spend a weekend drinking and install it yourself. >>

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/diy-fender-replacement-and-alignment-pics-162385.html?p=3399898

Once you do that, go get an alignment. Be prepared for things to be bent though. I popped a curb last year and the only thing that was bent was the ball joint stud where the rear LCA bushing goes through. The shop will tell you if anything is actually bent, or if it was just knocked out of place.

That really sucks to see though, sorry man.

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I feel like one time after I had to brake really hard, or VDC kicked in hard, my car seemed traumatized for a little bit afterwards. The idle seemed off, and the car just drove a little funny. Everything smoothed out eventually, I think the car was just a little freaked out after? Not a very scientific answer, but maybe try resetting your ecu.

Other than bent things and fender replacement. You also need to worry about a few things.

Was this the result of ass hat-ery from to fast of speed, inapropitiate entry angle, wrong departure angle...

Shit poor tires with unchecked air pressure

Shit alignment

All those combined

Or result of a panic menuver due to other road happenings.

Once you sort that all out you'll be road worth again

I might sound like a dick, but tires are the only thing that touches the ground. Awd, abs, traction control, eyesight systems. None of that means shit if your tire suck or have wrong air pressure.

Mario Andretti - check your tires

I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I feel like one time after I had to brake really hard, or VDC kicked in hard, my car seemed traumatized for a little bit afterwards. The idle seemed off, and the car just drove a little funny. Everything smoothed out eventually, I think the car was just a little freaked out after? Not a very scientific answer, but maybe try resetting your ecu.

I think that the bad idle might've been from the power steering. It sortof struggles if you go to full lock, but I think that may be from a previous issue.

Other than bent things and fender replacement. You also need to worry about a few things.

Was this the result of ass hat-ery from to fast of speed, inapropitiate entry angle, wrong departure angle...

Shit poor tires with unchecked air pressure

Shit alignment

All those combined

Or result of a panic menuver due to other road happenings.

Once you sort that all out you'll be road worth again

I might sound like a dick, but tires are the only thing that touches the ground. Awd, abs, traction control, eyesight systems. None of that means shit if your tire suck or have wrong air pressure.

Mario Andretti - check your tires

You're 100% right. My car has needed an alignment, none of the tires match(I think two are leaking slowly), I'm pretty sure the majority of the suspension bushings are blown. This car wasn't very well maintained by previous owners and I have had to focus on other areas because of that. I'm planning on replacing most of the suspension bushings, I think I'll need sway bar end links and maybe a lower control arm. I'm not completely sure as I haven't been able to take the wheel off(it's raining)and look or get the car on a lift.

Before you do anything, and spend any money, I suggest you get that car on a lift and inspect. If the frame and multiple suspension parts are bent you might want to think about contacting your insurance company. At a minimum you are already looking at rim, panel repaint and install. That's over my deductible already and you haven't looked internally.

Before you do anything, and spend any money, I suggest you get that car on a lift and inspect. If the frame and multiple suspension parts are bent you might want to think about contacting your insurance company. At a minimum you are already looking at rim, panel repaint and install. That's over my deductible already and you haven't looked internally.

Hopefully whatever I end up needing to replace will be done by me. My cousin is good with bodywork so he could probably help out if it turns out to be that bad.

The damage , from the pictures at least, dosnt seem like it would bend the frame.Fenders really easy to change and isnt all that much involved .Did the sign hit just the fender or did it hit the tire as well? If it hit the tire/rim , a lot could have gone wrong after since everything is connected together. I run some wide tires and i unexpectedly hit a puddle getting on to the parkway and that feeling of losing sensation in the rear of my car made me shit my pants.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

The damage , from the pictures at least, dosnt seem like it would bend the frame.Fenders really easy to change and isnt all that much involved .Did the sign hit just the fender or did it hit the tire as well? If it hit the tire/rim , a lot could have gone wrong after since everything is connected together. I run some wide tires and i unexpectedly hit a puddle getting on to the parkway and that feeling of losing sensation in the rear of my car made me shit my pants.

I'm not sure if the sign hit the wheel. It probably could have, there is definitely something(s) bent. That could also be from the curb.

Archived