LegacyGT.com

brakes on 2.5i (5th gen)

I brought my car in for it's 60,000 mi service, and the tech told me that my rotors had developed a lip and were at the end of their life. The pads were also down to 3mm..

So for the last few days I've been researching various pad/rotor combinations and trying to decide what compromises I want to make, and only today did I discover that the OEM pads, rotors, and calipers for the 2.5i and 2.5GT have different part numbers (implying that I might not be able to simply swap in performance parts labeled compatible with a 2.5 GT).

So, for all you 2.5i 5th gen owners out there, what's been your experience with break upgrades? I'm not interested in particular brands of pads and rotors (and calipers) that you do or don't like, but rather the fitments. Specifically:

- Has anyone tried putting 2.5GT-fitted rotors on without changing the calipers? If so, did the rotors fit?

- Has anyone tried putting on 2.5GT-fitted calipers together with rotors and pads (either sold as a kit or seperately), and if so, did the package fit?

(I know better than to ask about 2.5 GT-fitted pads without changing calipers, since if the calipers are different sizes, than the pads aren't going to fit.)

- If either of the above did not fit, were there any mods that you were able to perform that allowed these larger parts to fit?

For what it's worth, I have 18in Rotas that are large enough to accomodate a larger caliper and rotor, if the only constraint is the wheel size.

Many thanks for sharing your experience!

-----------

Edit: I should have said that I AM interested in rotor/pad combos that you do and don't like for "spirited" street driving, but thats not the thrust of this question. Still, please don't hold fire just because you can't answer my questions about 2.5i vs 2.5GT fitments but you do have some experience to share about upgraded pads and/or rotors on a 2.5i

Brembo indicates that it's GT BBK 326x30, part # 1E5.6002A4, fits 2010-2013 Legacy 2.5i and 2002+ Impreza WRX.

Using my Sherlock Holmes powers of deduction, I conclude that given one's wheels can accommodate the calipers and rotors (which mine can), the 5th gen Legacy 2.5i can take calipers intended for 2002+ WRX. I imagine that the brake lines may have to be changed (the Brembo BBK comes with new lines), and I'm also not sure if a caliper adapter is required.

So, this is good news, although it does not answer my question about 2.5i-LGT rotor interchangeability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the 2.5i unless you get a crazy good deal on new or used GT specific hardware just save yourself the let down of not noticing the improved stopping power and simply replace your OEM worn out parts with:

Centric Slotted 2.5i specific rotors

Centric Pads

Motul or other high quality fluid

OR

Stock equivalent rotors

Stock equivalent pads

New brake fluid

Stock 2.5i stopping equipment is great when kept up (mainly replacing fluid regularly)

Thanks GEE-OTTO. This is likely what I'm going to do (Centric premium blank rotors, may change the pads to Hawks, EBC yellow, or Porterfields).

I had a long conversation yesterday with the guys at Mach V who explained all of my options to me. The only upgrade they thought would be worthwhile in terms of noticeably improving stopping power would be putting on 06/07 WRX 4-pot/2-pot calipers. Using new parts it would run me ~2400 with rotors, pads, and install. Alternatively, they suggest just sticking with factory calipers and basic rotors and picking out some pads that suit my driving style.

Since 2400 is a bit beyond my budget right now, I'll probably go with the latter, although I am scanning eBay for used 06/07 WRX calipers to see if there are any deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did StopTech slotted/coated all 4 corners, Goodridge ss brake lines, Hawk ceramic up front, and stopTech ceramics in back, I also did a flush. That car is stupid wehn I mash the brakes.

Once I went from blank rotors to slotted and better brakes, it was night and day difference.

Oh and good tires make a big deal. wally world specials are not a good tire, unless your funds are low.

I am a big fan of Carbotech pads. I have run XP8 and XP12 on my GT with the stock calipers and rotors... and holy crap it stops, and immediately too. I recently put their street pads, the 1521 Bobcat compound, on my 2009 Forester XT and they great. Immediate brake feel and bite, and they haul the car down from speed quickly and with confidence.

I'm going to do my brake upgrading incrementally, starting with calipers and pads. I bought 06/07 WRX calipers (Kartboy adapter brackets), which are supposed to be monsters, and like a quarter of the price of Brembo BBKs. For pads, I've narrowed it to Carbotech Bobcats or Porterfield RS-4. I know the Carbotechs will do a better job handling the track, but this is for the street, and I suspect that the Porterfields will be better as an everyday pad while still giving me some aggressive stopping power. (Interestingly, the Carbotechs wouldn't even be an option if I kept with stock calipers. They aren't available in 5th gen Legacy 2.5i application as far as I can tell.) For the Carbotech users out there, please tell me if I'm wrong regarding street use.

I'll see how this works before I switch up rotors and lines. When I asked Dan at Mach V about Stoptech slotted rotors, his advice was that they might give me a hair more initial bite, but they'd wear out the pad a lot quicker. His recommendation was to stick with blank rotors and instead put my money into calipers for a substantial improvement in stopping power. As for lines, we'll see. It's something I might do eventually. Although Goodrich SS are pretty cheap, Dan said it's a long install (to the tune of 300). I can always add them later.

-------------------

I understand about wheels/tires. One of the first things I did when I bought the car was switch to 18x9 Rotas with Conti 235/40ZR18 ExtremeContact DW tires.

Archived