LegacyGT.com

How dangerous is the traffic in your neighborhood?

ehsnils

http://i0.wp.com/metrocosm.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/map-of-us-traffic-accidents.png?resize=710%2C392

This map displays 373,377 points, one for each person who died in a traffic accident between 2004 and 2013. More information about each one will appear as you zoom the map in closer.

http://metrocosm.com/map-every-fatal-traffic-accident-in-the-u-s-2004-2013/

453747.png

That doesn't really indicate how dangerous an area is because it ignores population density. If an area only had 10 traffic fatalities, then it's either really safe (because there's 200,000 people living in that area, or really, really dangerous (because only 100 people living in that area).

Its good to see traffic related fatalities end at the Canadian border. :) Not far from where I live is the city of Brampton. They have the dubious distinction of paying the highest car insurance rates in the country. The drivers there are so bad I try to avoid the place. Even the police drive terribly. Many of the cars are in terrible shape for one reason or another.

On another forum I created a list of:

How to Tell if a Car/Driver is from Brampton

- A bodyman's apprentice with dirty goggles can spot the replaced car door from thirty paces.

- During a traffic signal outage cars don't stop, simply proceeding through intersection without slowing.

- Car drives past school vehicle with alternating red lights pretending not to see. Sometimes not pretending.

- Even the most minor collision results in driver clutching back/neck and demanding immediate medical attention at preferred clinic.

- Vehicle is heavily adorned with automotive jewellery found at Walmart, Dr. Fleas, Cdn Tire clearance bin, garage sale of failed products etc.

- Trunk lid & hood match, but don't match balance of car.

- Car has mysterious holes in roof & trunk that coincide with those drilled for taxicab or public safety vehicle use.

- Bumper has been repainted many times, usually with brush.

- Car has four stamped steel rims becuase original rims lost, damaged, sold or stolen.

- Car antenna missing or broken off and likely used to jimmy lock to break into more expensive vehicle.

- Flag decal in rear window from nation/region not covered in standardized Geography curriculum for Ontario Schools.

- When you try to advise driver one tire is flat they pretend not to see/understand you.

- When asking for directions to best Indian takeaway restaurant you get four answers - all correct.

- You note that there is still a strong market for used Chrysler Reliant and Pontiac 6000LE cars.

- Walmart parking lot is devoid of pickup trucks.

- Cars don't slow down or try to avoid cavernous potholes in road.

- If a city bus is involved in an accident, people actually hop onto the bus before police/ambulance arrive.

- Shoppers Drug Mart sale results in need for traffic control officer in parking lot.

- Vehicle is smoking but driver probably not.

- Motor vehicle license office has Whack-A-Mole game to test driver reflexes.

- At the MV license office, if you can navigate through pylons without hitting any you pass driving test. If you have note from doctor you can forgo test.

- If car has four matching doors, tires and hubcaps, its considered an import.

- Turn indicator lights, and indicator levers, are strictly considered ornamental.

- Driving with dealer plate on car allows you to disregard OHTA laws.

- When striking a parked vehicle in parking lot, it is considered customary to place a take-out menu under the victim vehicle's windshield wiper. Pretending to write your contact information on the menu is only necessary when someone appears to be watching.

- Vehicle driver when pulled over by police demands to have representation from consulate of unpronouncable (or non-existant) country.

- Driver of vehicle will vehemently argue with traffic policeman that 5 is evenly divisible my 10 when being charged with overcrowding vehicle.

- When visiting Brampton you come back to your parked car to find the door, wiper blades, engine oil, alternator and empty beer cans missing. But curiously the stereo, GPS receiver, spare change & full beer cans have been left.

- Driver of high-miler Honda Accord straddling both lanes at high speed after reading "tear down dotted line" on his new drivers license.

- Driving school companies have names like: Shining Path DS, Lucky Star DS, Sunni Day DS and No-Bangalore-Me-Esteemed Driving Academy.

- Instead of seeing kids initials carved into sidewalk concrete when curing, there are tire tracks and discarded trash pressed in.

- Hundreds of drivers use the same credit card, belonging to the mayor, to pay for gas.

- Minor collisions can be handled by both drivers simply shrugging and driving on. The term "minor" factors in worth of vehicles and legal disposition of drivers, car, occupants etc.

Its good to see traffic related fatalities end at the Canadian border. :) Not far from where I live is the city of Brampton. They have the dubious distinction of paying the highest car insurance rates in the country. The drivers there are so bad I try to avoid the place. Even the police drive terribly. Many of the cars are in terrible shape for one reason or another.

I can't tell if that's a genuine "it's good" or a sarcastic "it's good" (text is hard). There are several major metropolitan areas in Canada that would be visible but are completely dark. So unless Canada (and Mexico) has access to some high-tech "no one dies in car accidents" technology and is holding out on sharing it with the US, then that map shows only US data.

Your sarcasm detector must be broken. No one has died in a traffic accident in Canada since 2004. Though that was a very dark year for Canada, with 3 million people dying in 16 different massive pile-ups on what is now known as "Black (ice) Monday". So many people left for work that tragic Monday and never made it home.

I can't tell if that's a genuine "it's good" or a sarcastic "it's good" (text is hard). There are several major metropolitan areas in Canada that would be visible but are completely dark. So unless Canada (and Mexico) has access to some high-tech "no one dies in car accidents" technology and is holding out on sharing it with the US, then that map shows only US data.

No, it's just a well known fact that Canadians and Mexicans aren't people, and therefore data for them is not tracked. Duh.

'Merica **** Yeah.

So unless Canada (and Mexico) has access to some high-tech "no one dies in car accidents" technology and is holding out on sharing it with the US, then that map shows only US data.

Well, the website is entitled "http://metrocosm.com/map-every-fatal-traffic-accident-in-the-u-s-2004-2013/" so you might be onto something with the US data only theory... :lol:

Well, the website is entitled "http://metrocosm.com/map-every-fatal-traffic-accident-in-the-u-s-2004-2013/" so you might be onto something with the US data only theory... :lol:

That'd require me to actually put my mouse on the link and either click it or hover over it. Way too much work.

Archived