LegacyGT.com

Rear Axle Question

So I've been having a hell of a time getting my axle nut off. I've bent my 22" breaker bar, I've snapped another one, impact guns don't work (Snap On and Husky), used tons of penetrating lube and rost off and well as tons of heat. The thing just won't turn.

So I figured it might be better to just replace the axle with the bearing hub still attached. I'm trying to find if I can change the axle without removing the bearing hub. Just feed it through the brake assembly. Anyone here know? 2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i right rear.

Can you borrow a 3/4 inch drive breaker bar to use with a section of pipe ? Not to be smart, but you unstaked the nut ? As a last resort I'd try to cut into the nut in 2 spots with a dremel tool and see if I could chisel it off or split it in half.

I don't see how you could get the axle out of the bearing otherwise, and I think it would be a tight fit at best getting the axle thru the hub. It might be possible, though.

Good luck, I hate when things like this happen.

Ya I've tried 3/4 breaker bar with an extension. That broke. Tried it all. I work at Harley Davidson so we even tried a few tricks and tools around the shop with no luck. This thing is on there good. If no one knows for sure if the axle will fit through the assembly, I will most likely let you know by tomorrow. I just wanted to go in with as much knowledge as possible.

Simple just unbolt the knuckle, remove the caliper and pull the axle out with the knuckle on the end then you can work on the nut OR you could cut the nut then chisel what's left off the remove the axle as normal if you are needing to replace the axle

Archived