LegacyGT.com

'96 - Stock radio replacement?

The radio in my '96 is factory and over the last few months has started to go bad. There is a point in the volume knob where it crackles loudly and it's been expanding recently. The tape deck sometimes adds a lot of static when being used. Before getting something new, I wanted to ask a few questions.

Is it worth going to get a new factory radio from the junk yard (Assuming it works)? Someone at work had their car broken into in the parking lot last week and I'm not really into getting something that looks new.

If another factory radio was not a good option, does anyone know of any brands that look factory? 5 found Pyle but reviews aren't so great on them.

Finally, if I am going to replace the radio, I might take out the CD player. If I do, are there aftermarket pieces that give that hole a more finished look? I have found them for other manufacturers but not second gen Subaru.

Thanks

Hi,

Is your CD player under the seat or under the radio/cassette? My info below assUmes it's the latter.

And just a little DIN info, if you didn't know. The basic stock am/fm radio is usually a Single DIN. With the CD player beneath it, it's a Double-DIN.

- If you don't care about new functions: phone/bluetooth/Aux/etc. than Yes, just get another OEM radio. Not sure which ones are compatible w/your CD player. BTW, a 2002-2005(?) WRX AM/FM/Cassette/6-CD Player is plug and play w/yours, but you'll lose the clock. It's a Double-DIN size...should be exactly the same size as your existing setup.

Also. this one is very similar to the WRX and has the CD/Cassette all-in-one. I think it came in the '98-'99 GT/Outbacks???:

0ekWa2S.jpg

-All aftermarket decks will look 'aftermarket'. They still sell 'em w/the removable faceplates, so you can just take that into work w/you. That should discourage a wannabe thief from bothering w/yours.

-I think what you're talking about is the DIN cubby / pockets. Subaru made @ least 2 different sizes - Look on other sites for them. I think 1" and 1.5"? You can buy this from others on here or other sites. I believe they are compatible from the '90-2004 model years. And I'm sure they're avl. on Ebay....or Crutchfield. If you buy a new Single DIN aftermarket deck, add the pocket below it.

and just a heads-up, if you buy an older used one, I've heard the CD function fails often on the Subaru models...so ensure you can return it if that's important.

GL,

Td

Hi,

Is your CD player under the seat or under the radio/cassette? My info below assUmes it's the latter.

And just a little DIN info, if you didn't know. The basic stock am/fm radio is usually a Single DIN. With the CD player beneath it, it's a Double-DIN.

- If you don't care about new functions: phone/bluetooth/Aux/etc. than Yes, just get another OEM radio. Not sure which ones are compatible w/your CD player. BTW, a 2002-2005(?) WRX AM/FM/Cassette/6-CD Player is plug and play w/yours, but you'll lose the clock. It's a Double-DIN size...should be exactly the same size as your existing setup.

Also. this one is very similar to the WRX and has the CD/Cassette all-in-one. I think it came in the '98-'99 GT/Outbacks???:

0ekWa2S.jpg

-All aftermarket decks will look 'aftermarket'. They still sell 'em w/the removable faceplates, so you can just take that into work w/you. That should discourage a wannabe thief from bothering w/yours.

-I think what you're talking about is the DIN cubby / pockets. Subaru made @ least 2 different sizes - Look on other sites for them. I think 1" and 1.5"? You can buy this from others on here or other sites. I believe they are compatible from the '90-2004 model years. And I'm sure they're avl. on Ebay....or Crutchfield. If you buy a new Single DIN aftermarket deck, add the pocket below it.

and just a heads-up, if you buy an older used one, I've heard the CD function fails often on the Subaru models...so ensure you can return it if that's important.

GL,

Td

Hi my 1996 Legacy has that exact radio pictured. I assume it's been swapped but I want to put an aftermarket one in and I can't find an install kit anywhere

look at the wiring kit for an older hyundai, i think it was that. same 14 pin harness. you could use the universal single din mount kit, the decks basket should fit without any real help, and it comes with a cubby for the lower half (or upper half). the double dins fit perfectly without any adapter kits.

heres a link for the adapter kit, and a starting point for the other pieces

http://www.metraonline.com/part/98-8999

This is not a "DIN mount" Radio. It is an "ISO mount". You transfer the factory radios side brackets to the aftermarket radio. You will not be using a mounting sleeve. The aftermarket radio will have corresponding holes in the sides for such mounting. Double din, (size reference only), radio requires no kit. Single din radio requires the pocket listed by Twisty. Use existing pocket if the factory radio was initially a single din. Sometimes you get a car where the harness has been cut. Wiring diagram http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1983.html
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

googled ISO vs. DIN....as ISO was a new one on me:

Most car stereos use DIN for the actual aperture size that the radio fits into, hence a standard unit is single DIN, a double height unit is double DIN.

Single vs Double

ISO is used to refer to the standard wiring connectors now almost exclusively used - one for the standard power, illumination & other connections, one for speakers and others for more complex remote controls, etc.;

http://www.mictronics.de/images/becker/becker_pinout.jpg...

ours uses a very common (and obsolete) 14-pin harness, my friends shop has a ton of old adapters sitting on the wall. couldnt find one that said it was for subaru, but found 3 different ones that were the same plug. i hate when they do that.

This information has been very useful.

I decided to go ahead and get a new radio. One that had an aux in so I wouldn't have to keep using the tape deck adapter.

My first problem is that I was not able to figure out how to remove the old set. I tore down the center console to the point I thought should be removed. I couldn't find a guide online that would show what else to do.

In the image below I had started to put parts back before I realized I should take a picture to ask. I didn't feel like unscrewing things again.

I had all four screws taken out at the corners of the radio / CD set and had lifted off the plate above surrounding the climate controls to see if there was a release. Nothing budged. Was there a screw I was missing or should I have used more force? It was kinda dirty in there.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j167/mcan_sic/IMG_1330_zpssvxxzllv.jpg

My second problem was that the radio I ordered did not fit. I test fit it to the face plate and it was too wide. I thought about this only after seeing someone complain about that in a guide for installing a different radio into a similar legacy.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket radios that look stock that would fit into there? I had a boss brand one and it did not work. I'm still looking for something that isn't flashy. (I'm not expecting anyone to google things for me, but if off hand someone knows of something they know fits, I will look into it). I might still go after factory sets like those listed above but I am leaning more towards aftermarket now. The aux is kind of tempting for navigation.

Thank you.

Hi,

There are 2 more screws on the sides in the BACK - get some light in there and you'll see 'em. Need a longish screwdriver, preferably magnetized.

I put in a Pioneer DEH-X6500BT* that fit both my previous '93 and my current '96 w/out trimming. However, the 'security' faceplate doesn't come off easily as it's pretty snug.

And I'm not sure why your Boss doesn't fit.....

* This deck was <$100 but don't recommend it as I bought one for our RAV4 also. and it likes to randomly reset itself every few months...works fine 99% of the time, just not a high-quality device.

Thank you, I'll have to go looking for those screws.

I'm thinking of getting a JVC set for a bit more than the Boss that amazon also says fits. They have a pretty good return policy so I am willing to try.

The Boss was about an 1/4th of an inch too wide for the faceplate (when I test fit). It hit the edges of the raised part of the radio.

I just replaced the same one in my '97 L with a new Pioneer DEH-X6700BT, and there we're 6 total screws. 2 hidden deep on the sides, and 1 on each corner. The Pioneer came with it's own plug, so I had to splice it in there. Ill try to see if I can find the wording diagram for the Subi wires.

*edit* here it is http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/stereodetail/1983.html

I wish I had more pictures to show you some of the details of fitting an aftermarket radio in the second gens but I'll do my best to be descriptive in writing.

From the picture you posted, you've gotten pretty far in getting the radio out. Including removing the cup holder, most of the center console, ash tray and such but like everyone has mentioned, there is a total of 6 screws holding the whole audio assembly.

On the four corners tabs, you've removed the most forward Philips head screws but there are two more tabs on the back of the entire assembly. Half way between the two corner screws and further back, the length of a typical radio. Use a long MAGNETIC screwdriver. If the screw falls off the head, it is usually lost in between the carpet deep in the center console and you'll be removing much more the find it.

Choosing an aftermarket deck is different than from other cars because the bezel used in our cars comes out much further and is scuplted very close to the factory headunit so the cavity is sort of sunken in compared to most late 90's cars that people throw stereos into. You'll have to find a rectangular faceplate that does not have any protrusions past the standard single DIN 'cage' the head unit slides into as these are the limits of the factory bezel. All aftermarket headunits will come with a beauty ring that covers the cage when installed but these can't be used with the factory bezel.

The factory brackets that hold the original headunit is absolutely perfect for swapping in aftermarket equipment, you do not need to buy any 'install' kits. The original headunit uses standard mounting locations to the factory brackets so your aftermarket deck will line up with the holes that are already there with no problems. A wiring harness is still recommended to keep your wiring free from spicing.

As for a cubby hole storage unit, any one from a BE, BH Legacy will fit like factory. They use the same standard mounting holes.

I wanted the same factory look with an AUX input and amplifier out so I bought a mid 2000's Clarion deck with the mindset that most factory Subaru headunits are Clarion or Panasonic. It had to have back lighting selectivity so it would match the factory green as well. With only spending garage sale money on it, I painted the aluminum sides and chrome buttons the dark grey/black to compliment the interior and mounted it with the storage compartment from a third gen Legacy.

The faceplate moves with no interference with the factory bezel and looks like it belongs.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/NhanMan/Subaru/IMG_1058_zpsadf55d89.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/NhanMan/Subaru/IMG_1326_zpsc2e1f551.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a294/NhanMan/Subaru/IMG_1321_zpsbfeb3d85.jpg

Looks great! How does it sound? With my DEH, I also put some new speakers I'm, Kicker CS65's, which act like 4 subs. Its really surprising... Just a word to anyone replacing the rear speakers, beware, there is a specialized connector on the speaker itself... I ended up actually breaking mine...

I ended up ruining my old speaker on the right taking it out, because it was covered in something like flux. The left was clean, and so we're thebfronts, but only because I replaced the speakers already... Here's a link to the thread I've done everything to the car on. I have to update it though. Ill run out and get a pic of how my head unit fits, cuz I couldn't use the beautyring it came with

http://vstanced.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=1665&n

Archived