LegacyGT.com

Just another legacy gt with a blown motor...

So it finally happened I had 146k miles on a stock EJ257 block with BNR 18g turbo supporting fuel mods essentially every bolt on you could have while being cobb pro tuned ...

Compared to some of you I feel very lucky and blessed it held together that long albeit a very safe and conservative tune from a reputable tuner.

Now being in the market for another motor I came across an EJ257 long block with 22k miles. It looks pretty mint and the compression numbers with leak down results were:

Compression: 140/140/145/140

Leak down: 6/10/10/12

Price is a steal vehicle was involved in a drivers side front collision that appears the motor was untouched. Looks like the apron and rad support welds were broken causing the insurance to total the vehicle since it considers it frame damage.

Knowing the Subaru god's walk amongst us here I was wondering if anyone could throw some information my way as far as the results of these numbers, since iI think they're pretty good to what else to look for.

What car is that ej257 out of ? We may not have the same heads.

You say you 146k on your EJ257, did you have that short block installed ? These cars didn't come with a ej257.

See my click here link for the best machine shop to have machine work done on your EJ

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

2005 Legacy GT base. From my understanding 2005 is the only year where B25 heads were used with the Legacy GT as opposed the D25 heads... this was at an earlier date confirmed by Riderdude125 which I may reach out to for some guidance. At one point was going to go full build but a deposit on a house was more important.

I fight the urge everyday to buy some plain jane commuter that gets great gas mileage and maintenance would be little to none but I think we all justify that as much time as we spend in our cars we deserve to at least be happy and choose the one we drive.

EJ255/EJ257 and B25 or D25 can all be made to work together. I think what Max is trying to ask is what car the 22k mile EJ257 you're looking to buy is from.

If it is the long block out of a later STi, you might need to pass as it might have dual AVCS as opposed to single like the LGT and some WRX. EJ257 short block did not come stock in LGTs, but is bolt in. EJ257 long block now brings the heads into the mix, which may or may not be so simple to swap directly in. This depends on the year of the donor.

I believe that is a dual AVCS engine. Move on.

Have you read my click here link ?

PM me and if you'd like to use my name at Suburban Subaru in Manchester if you decide to get a ej257.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Double check the 2007 STi won't work. Part diagrams are showing the plastic exhaust cam gears - should be a single AVCS.

Still not 100% drop in, but I wouldn't say it's completely incompatible.

I would only have 100% faith in an engine if I knew it from first start up. Most people follow the steps in Max's link to get that security.

Some members have done the dual AVCS heads but they also talk about block off plates.

To make it easy on yourself...stay with what you have. The ej257 short block is a direct bolt in, just get the gasket set for your year car.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the PM I got from someone over on NASIOC, from MrTris

. . should check heads on that longblock. If what I've read is correct, 2007 STi has V25B heads, which, are a one-year-only, super special set, that are single AVCS, and thus, will work with the LGT with little to no issues.

Archived