LegacyGT.com

What model is the OEM radio?

As for a part number, I have no idea. I think they all (Legacies and Outbacks) have the same unit, except the Outback VDC, which has MP3 playback capability, and a sub/amp standard. There is a McIntosh 13 speaker stereo option overseas, but not in the US.

Here is what I have from Subaru: Panasonic (Matsushita) unit (no model # info) Subaru part # 86201AG62A Subaru part # 86201AG63A - MP3/VDC model ==== From: [email]JMergen@subaru.com[/email] Subject: Stereos used in 2005 Outback models Date: July 28, 2004 6:14:09 AM MST To: Karen Martin Hello Ms. Martin: I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. Your patience has been appreciated. I have been advised by our Product Planning Department that Panasonic is the manufacturer of the stereo components used in our 2005 Outback and Legacy models. There are no auxilliary inputs on the stereo units in our 2005 Outback models. However, the 2005 Outback VDC Wagon does come standard with an MP3 player. This MP3 player is not available for our other 2005 Outback models. Thanks for the opportunity to be of assistance. If you need any future assistance, please feel free to contact us again. Best wishes, John J. Mergen Subaru of America, Inc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']As for a part number, I have no idea. I think they all (Legacies and Outbacks) have the same unit, except the Outback VDC, which has MP3 playback capability, and a sub/amp standard. There is a McIntosh 13 speaker stereo option overseas, but not in the US.[/quote] ummm, is it possible to put the VDC MP3 unit in a LGT?? Or are the illumination colors or something else different??

[quote name='Information Society']I don't know how many watts per channel, but Subaru says it's a 120 watt system. My assumption: 10x2 tweeters 25x4 speakers[/quote] There are no separate channels for the tweeters -- only 4 channels total. So it must be 30x4. Craig

Interesting to see that the US spec gets Panasonic. When I was at the dealer to get done the first oil change (5.000 km) I asked the mechanic if he knows something about an external input and so on. After some thinking he went into to the storage and came back with a new stereo system. This was for a customer who tried (and finally succeded) to put 3 CD's into the single CD-player head unit :lol: So the mechanic already received the new replacement head unit and we took a look at the backside to check out the inputs. Unfortunately nothing new to find out ... BUT this head unit was branded with KENWOOD. :o So obviously the EURO spec (maybe JDM as well) Legacy gets a Kenwood stereo. BTW my car is Euro-spec, too.

[quote name='Flo4Legacy']Interesting to see that the US spec gets Panasonic. When I was at the dealer to get done the first oil change (5.000 km) I asked the mechanic if he knows something about an external input and so on. After some thinking he went into to the storage and came back with a new stereo system. This was for a customer who tried (and finally succeded) to put 3 CD's into the single CD-player head unit :lol: So the mechanic already received the new replacement head unit and we took a look at the backside to check out the inputs. Unfortunately nothing new to find out ... BUT this head unit was branded with KENWOOD. :o So obviously the EURO spec (maybe JDM as well) Legacy gets a Kenwood stereo. BTW my car is Euro-spec, too.[/quote] eh, I went a little further than that.. check out some of my installation posts..

Archived